Emergency Help Needed to Drain Pool

Jun 11, 2007
NorCal
I'm in NorCal and we are in the middle of a huge storm. The water level is way high and I need to start a drain to prevent overflow. There is a pip which says drain but I don't know how to get the water to flow there. Any suggestions? I don't have a sand filter.

Edited to add: I called a pool service person who walked me through it so the problem is over.

For anyone who sees this post in the future: there are three ways to drain the pool with the main pump, depending on which kind of setup you have.

If you have a cartridge filter without a main valve, there is usually a garden hose style valve which can be turned on while the pump is running to drain water.

If you have a multi-way rotary valve, turn off the pump, set the valve to waste, turn on the pump.

Otherwise, turn off the pump, set the main valve to backwash, turn on the pump. DE filters will need to be recharged after backwashing (which is why they normally have multi-way valves).

I'm in Northern California as well and we don't often have storms like this one. I had the misfortune of having my electricity go off this morning and had to leave home for a few hours to care for my mother. With the water line an inch from the coping and unable to pump it into my waste line as I had been doing, I stuck a garden hose in the pool and let it siphon off down a hillside until I returned. I've got three inches to spare at this time.

algaeh8er said:
Flintstone- I hope you weathered the storm ok. My husband suggested siphoning in addition to draining, but I couldn't bring myself to start the siphoning. I'm a bit of a wimp.

Heh, you don't NEED to suck on the hose to start a siphon... The only point of sucking is to completely fill the hose with water so that it can flow continuously. Another easy method is to put the entire hose in the pool making sure you're not trapping any large air pockets in the loops and then cover one end with your palm as you drag it to a lower position (down a slope, etc). Take your hand off the end and bingo! water flows... no sucking involved!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.