polaris 380 wheels don't turn

Jul 24, 2011
Hi just installed a pool at my house and bought a polaris 380. Hooked it to pool and it ran just fine. Next day did the same thing but now polaris wheels dont roll. I turned single wheel and all wheels roll. I'm not very technical but can anybody tell me what to do before i carry it in to repair center. thanks

Welcome to TFP!

Is your booster pump working?
Have you checked the connections to make sure you aren't leaking water at any of them?
Is the Polaris filter clean?
Is there anything caught in the Polaris or clogging up the Polaris?

Filter screen is in the connection to the wall. There is a J hook latch to unhook.

Before you undo that see if there is a lot of water exiting the pressure relief valve, which is there. I forget whether it is what you are unhooking or if it stays attached to the wall. It may have failed. When this happened to our 380, I found that when I covered that exit to stop that flow, the Polaris ran normally.

Here is a link to the Polaris 380 manual: http://www.poolcenter.com/Polaris380_Manual.pdf The relief valve is screwed into the wall fitting - number 10 on the parts diagram. Polaris has had a lot of trouble with the relief valves leaking by too much, too easy. My new 280 did that and I called Polaris about it they sent a new relief valve and it leaked by also. Finally they told me to remove the valve and replace it with a plug. After that I didn't have any more problems.

To tell if the valve is leaking turn on the booster pump and put your hand around the valve. If it is leaking by you will feel the water coming out. Remove the valve by taking the wall connection loose from the wall and unscrew the valve with a pair of channel locks. Take the valve to Lowes or Home depot and get a plug the same size. Screw the plug back into the hole left by the valve by hand then tighten about 1/4 turn with channel locks - don't over tighten or you can crack the wall fitting. Connect the fitting to the wall and turn on the booster pump. The cleaner should now run just fine. Then check the wheel RPM and adjust the speed if needed by using the flow restriction disks that came with the cleaner. Those instructions are in the manual.

Just go online and view the parts list, if you don't have it in your owners manual. You can order online from lots of places, or get it for slightly more at a local pool store and have it sooner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.