My pH has been drifting up as well

tigerucla

LifeTime Supporter
Jason-

My pH has been drifting up as well. Here are my numbers:
FC 3-5
pH 7.8
TA 80 (it was at 70- I mistakenly raised it with Baking soda thinking since TA buffers pH, more would be better)
CH 270
CYA 35
Borates 50
Salt 2090 (no SWG)
temp 82 degrees

Even though Pool School recommends TA from 70-90+, it sounds like you are recommending lowering TA to 60 and possibly even as low as 40 to try to stabilize pH drift. Is that correct?

My question, then, is how to effectively lower TA when I have no aerating features and no eyeballs on my returns. One of the 3 returns barely ripples the water about 6' away from the wall. Will lowering pH to 7.2 and letting it drift back up naturally bring the TA down? Or do I need to find some way to aerate the water?

Yes, TA as low as 40 is fine (because you have borates in the water, otherwise you would want TA a little higher).

Aeration can often speed up the process of lowering TA, by getting the PH to come up more quickly so you can add more acid. As long as the PH is coming up on it's own there is no need to aerate.

How old is the pool surface? Is the PH drift extreme or does it creep up over a week or so? Have you tried to see how far it will drift up. Some pools stop drifting at 7.7 or so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.