PH dropping

Jul 1, 2010
Orange County, NY
Having used the last of my Trichlor pucks I have moved entirely to the BBB method of treating my pool for the last 3 weeks. The only issue I seem to be having this year is I can't seem to maintain the Ph. I adjust as directed by the pool calculator and within 2 days or so the Ph seems to drop again. Sometimes the drop is substantial like down to 6.8 - My current numbers are listed here. If anyone can shed some light as to why this may be occurring please jump in - Water is crystal clear and I have no algae growth at all.

FC = 8.5

CC = 0

PH = 7.2 (down from 7.5 yesterday)

TA = 70

CYA = 80

Water Temp = 82 (Finally broke 80 due to heat - normally 76 is it!)

Nothing in your numbers would indicate a cause for lower pH. It is almost exclusively a result of using pucks. There is a temporary drop when you first add liquid chlorine so if you tested after a chlorine dose that would account for it.

Go buy a box or so of 20 mule team Borax and test every couple of days. It's an easy fix to bring it back up and, by using borax, your TA will stay pretty close to where it needs to be.

EDIT: one of my secret admirers PM'd me to point out that I had that backwards on the chlorine.....it should've been a temporary increase!!! :oops: :oops:

duraleigh said:
Nothing in your numbers would indicate a cause for lower pH. It is almost exclusively a result of using pucks. There is a temporary drop when you first add liquid chlorine so if you tested after a chlorine dose that would account for it.

Go buy a box or so of 20 mule team Borax and test every couple of days. It's an easy fix to bring it back up and, by using borax, your TA will stay pretty close to where it needs to be.

Thank you. That's what I assumed but really just wanted confirmation. Glad to be rid of the pucks and fully on BBB.

Thank you too by the way for extremely fast service on my TF-100 refills. Great customer service as well considering I forgot to order something and you managed to get it to me with my original order.

Every pool has it own personality. I have always been BBB and my PH would always drop over a weeks time from 7.6 to 7.0 with a TA of 100. I just bumped my TA to 140 and will see if that buffers the PH better. There are no right or wrong numbers for YOUR pool. The numbers given here are guidelines to start with. With an understanding of the chemistry behind the numbers your pool will be easier to maintain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.