Vinyl liner - lifespan and 'loose' spots

tethys69

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Hampton Roads area, VA
Howdy all,

So I was walking around my pool today and felt a 'loose' spot on the floor. It kinda feels like there's air under the liner, but the air doesn't move around when I step on it, it just FEELS like that. Like the liner is loose, but just in that little spot. (if that makes any sense)

Is this something I should be concerned about? I don't see any issues thus far, but if an issue is going to arise I guess I'd rather get ready for it than be surprised one day.

Also, what's the typical lifespan of a vinyl liner? I just bought the house last year and I'm assuming the pool has been in the ground since the house was built in 2001.

Thanks!

i have the same problem - in the shallow end of the pool there is an area about 3'x3' where liner feels a little soft. There are some wrinkles and i can push them around a bit. i've been chasing a leak and i was thinking it was somewhere around that area since it seems like i have some water under. i dye tested it all around and found nothing.

i didn't notice that area being softer before, but now i'm about 8" lower in water than before - maybe it affected it. or maybe i just didn't notice it before.

the liner is 11 years old and in a good shape.

Hi Diver,

I don't think I have a leak, but it's something I'll certainly keep an eye out. I wonder if you may have a leak in the piping? Just a guess. Other people on this board with much bigger pool brains than I and can offer advice on how to track that down. I'd be interested to know, too.

Cruzmisl, sounds like you've gotten the average time out of your liner. Thanks for posting it. I'd be interested to know what people say about the cost of liner replacement since I suspect I'll be facing it in the next few years or so myself.

cruzmisl said:
my vinyl liner is faded and looks bad. Its over 12 years old though. Anyone know what replacement cost is installed? I'm guessing ~$2k for an 18x36'

Long Island, NY its probably closer to $3,000 for a pool that size. A neighbor of mine just replaced their liner in a pool that size and I believe paid $2,700. That is for the liner and labor.

I replaced mine about 2 years ago. I got the liner at cost cause I have a family member in the business.
Just had to pay labor. I think I spent about $1,800...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My liner is 29 years old -- I've only had it for 3 years. This year it needed one small patch above the water line. However, I just got a price for replacing it -- $3k for just a replacement, but mine will need some sanding and painting (steel walls) and maybe some other repairs plus foam on the walls, so it will be closer to $4k. The vermiculite floor is still good, there's just some rust on the inside of the side walls. The guy told me that a lot of the old liners like mine (20mm, btw) lasted longer than the newer ones as they used different materials back then. Mine is light colored and has faded, but I'd lean towards getting a lighter patterned one again. The liners they use come in 20 or 28 mm.

ETA: the above prices include saving all the water -- they'll pump it into portable pools and then will pump it right back into mine

I replaced my liner after 27 years. I probably could have gotten a few more years out of it but it was a light colored liner that had faded badly. The new darker liner has raised the pool temperature about 4 degrees F. My dealer told me that maintaining proper water chemistry is the secret to a long life. Thay had customers that had to replace liners after 5 years and others that lasted 30 years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.