Uh-OH...oops

Okay, left the water in our pool high enough so we could run the pump in freezing weather. Did not drain the pump, etc. We have had some freezing temps the last few nights and I totally forgot about the pool. :shock: :cry: There is a really tiny crisp thin layer of ice on the water on top of the cover. What am I in for? :?

BTW, we are on the east coast of Virginia and have had mild temps so far so I have not really messed with the pool.....that is why I forgot. That and it's my first winter with it. (and I've been a bit occupied with hubby who was in a bad car accident the day before thanksgiving)

You are probably fine, but there might be some broken pipes. It usually takes several hours in the low twenties before there is damage. You should turn on the pump and look closely around all of the exposed pipes to see if you can spot any leaks then check again after half an hour with the pump running. If you don't see any leaks you are probably fine. If you do see a leak it will need to be dealt with quickly.

its been cold, i think we got to 28 last night, not much warmer today 32 right now according to the weather channel, but were gunna get up to the 50s next week so like new2pools said we have had a mild winter, there was a very thin layer of ice on my pool last night, i thought it was kinda cool and it makes me glad i winterised it.

but we do get colder, i think we even had some snow fall yesterday, it lasted for 5 minuites and nothing sticked. :cry:

good luck. :wink:

Hey Rollin Thunder, We are on the Peninsula. Loving this weather!!! :-D How bout you? Great isn't it? I would love for it to stay this way but I know Feb will bring some nice cold, damp Virginia winter yet. :roll:

An update, everything looks fine. I even took a look at the water for the first time since we covered it. Surprisingly (VERY surprisingly since we had such an algae issue just before closing) the water looks great! Blue, clear as can be and looks like only a tiny bit of algae, or whatever that junk was, in a few spots on the bottom. :-D

new2pools said:
Hey Rollin Thunder, We are on the Peninsula. Loving this weather!!! :-D How bout you? Great isn't it? I would love for it to stay this way but I know Feb will bring some nice cold, damp Virginia winter yet. :roll:

An update, everything looks fine. I even took a look at the water for the first time since we covered it. Surprisingly (VERY surprisingly since we had such an algae issue just before closing) the water looks great! Blue, clear as can be and looks like only a tiny bit of algae, or whatever that junk was, in a few spots on the bottom. :-D

its nice and relaxing, said to the family that if we had wised up and bought a heater we would be swimming right now. LOL 84 yesterday 78 the day before and 73 today. LOVE IT, but yea late january we should get cold for a good bit, i dont mind the cold as long as i get some snow in the mix.
:(
to kinda get away from it all for a while the whole family (except my oldest, he stayed with our poor puppy :( ) anyway we all went fishing yesterday, had an awsome time and relaxed a bit, cought nothing but some nice memorys and had fun. :-D

Okay, wacky weird VA weather here. Snowing and supposed to go down to around 17-18 tonight. I have the pump running on low right now. Is it going to be okay? should I run it on high?? Supposed to only have a high tomorrow of about 26 and then around 30's mon. Am I doing the right thing??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here's our forecast for this week.

weather.jpg

Brrrr :(

yea we had fun in the snow today, what i was amazed at was that the snow accumuliated on the pool before anything else. none of it stuck to the road, but all over the yard and house. was fun, and we built a 2 ft snowman. LOL. o yea and took the kids lawn sleding, i hooked up a sled to our tractor and pulled them around on the sled, they had fun with that too. but its all melted now and my truck said at 830 p.m. on the way home 28 and its down to about 20 right now and not much different tommarrow. wacky va weather, expected to get up to the 50s again by next week.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.