Question during the planning stage

Jul 9, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
Hey all, I currently have an inground sport pool with roman steps at each end. I am coming up on needing a new liner and I am just not happy with the selection these days. The pool is concrete walls with a poolcrete bottom and fiberglass roman steps. Can I get some peoples $.02 worth on switching over to a tile lined pool? It seems to me if I can find glass or ceramic tiles at a good price, I could replace the vinyl liner for about the same cost. What are some pitfalls I might not be considering? Is there any concern with the transition between the poolcrete bottom and the solid concrete walls I should consider? What about the fiberglass steps?

Also, I am thinking of possibly removing one of the roman step ends and putting in a tanning ledge. Can anyone give me their thoughts/experiences on tanning ledges? It would be a half moon shaped area in the sunny end of my pool. I can post some pics when I get home this evening. I am thinking I could fill in the void with concrete block and fill, then top it off with concrete.

This is a year or two away, so no big hurry on my part, just trying to think it all the way through and weigh some options.

Tile needs a completely rigid surface, while vinyl liners are usually put down over surfaces that have a little give to them. For example pool crete has a lot more give than concrete and isn't a suitable base layer for tile. The presumably metal walls and fiberglass stairs are even less appropriate for tile. If applied over those surfaces, the tiles would crack and come off.

Thanks Jason, my main question was regarding the poolcrete bottom. The walls of my pool are concrete, not metal or plastic, and I was more worried about any transition between the fiberglass steps and any tile I would put on the walls. SO, if I was to move forward, it sounds like I would do best by removing the poolcrete floor and the fiberglass steps and putting in regular concrete in those places prior to any thoughts of tiling...if I am understanding your comments, correct?

If you really wanted to convert to tile, you'd have to excavate the poolcrete bottom then physically tie the new concrete floor into the walls, probably by drilling in rebar every 8-12" at the bottom of the existing wall. The fiberglass steps would have to go and anything else added would have to be tied in in a similar fashion. After you got to the finished solid concrete shell, you'd have to line it with plaster or something to waterproof it before tiling. It is a big construction project that would cost many times more and take much longer than just replacing the liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.