Good thing I was home.

Jul 23, 2010
Mickleton, NJ
All has been well with the pool here. I had the filter running today and had the kids in the pool a few hours earlier. About an hour ago I went to wash my hands and as I looked up I noticed through the kitchen window that the pool water level was just to the bottom screw on the skimmer. It was above the second screw earlier in the day. I ran outside to see the hose that connects to the pool was laying on the ground gushing water as well the return hole. I shut off the pump and reconnected the hose to the return. I just finished refilling and turned the pump back on, there seems to be some air in the system so I bleeded out on the filter. I did notice the hose from the filter to the return seemed to be shaking, not sure if I've seen this before and am just noticing it now or what. I turned it off just incase, I'm wondering if air is still trapped in there.

Any idea what caused this to happen and what is the best way to prevent it in the future? If I was not home at the time I think it could have been really bad, pump running dry, liner tearing etc. It is really really hot here today, water temp is now 90 degrees (this is after refilling like 6 inches with the hose). I feel like the hose was secure, we spent some time adjusting it back in April when we opened the pool and haven't had so much as a drip since then.

Bama Rambler said:
I know you don't want to hear this but that's why hard piping the pump and filter is so much better than the hoses. Having said that, you can double clamp the connections and it may help some.

That was actually the first thing I thought of when this happened. "so this is why people hard plumb their above grounds." :rant:

After dh and I tried numerous times to get the clamp tight and the hose leaking or not staying on I went to the pool store (first time there this season)lol. I bought a new hose, it was a little thicker than that one that came with the pool installation. The owner who sold me the pool said it's a good idea to replace them every year or hard plumb the lines. I think with yesterday's heat here it just made the plastic moer plyable or something. The new one fit more snug at both ends and is on securely with the clamp.

Dh and I are going to hard plumb next spring.

I'm hard plumbing in the next few weeks. I just recently upgraded my pump and cut the liner for the larger connections and I still had a plunger fall off. Thankfully it did it while I was doing maintenance and was able to correct it before losing too many gallons. I hate those plungers and can't wait until I get ball joints in their place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.