Anyone use CYA from Walmart?

Have been with no problem's but it was impossible to find this year . Four walmart's within 10 miles, nothing. Ended up at pool store(argh) $25 for 3.5lbs!! Went early in season and was told all chem orders were finished ? Ya think the pool store could have at least bought me diner first before they screwed me. Next year i'm buying online, between the gas and final cost , live and learn.

I used HTH stabilizer at a friends pool, then had to get more and got that from the pool store, not sure of the brand but directions said to lower pH to something like 7.2, then add to the skimmer. The HTH dissolved easily in a stocking on the pool. The other did not. It seemed harder baked and bigger chunks. Couldn't dump in the skimmer since the filter was due to be cleaned, so we used the stocking again. Took quite awhile. Anyhow, that its my report on the comparison.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Couple of notes....it only says to lower the PH to 7.2 just to make sure you get the PH in line (whatever your target) before moving on the CYA.

Also--regardless of skimmer vs sock method, you shouldn't clean or backwash for a week.

chriscard25 said:
Couple of notes....it only says to lower the PH to 7.2 just to make sure you get the PH in line (whatever your target) before moving on the CYA.

Also--regardless of skimmer vs sock method, you shouldn't clean or backwash for a week.

The "no cleaning or backwashing" is for when you add it to the skimmer because it takes so long to dissolve and the granules will fall out of the filter undissolved. There's no reason not to clean the filter if it's added via sock. No different than cleaning the filter any other day.

I think it's important to clarify this because those who are shocking will NEED to clean their filters regularly during the process. A very good reason not to use the skimmer method to add CYA if you think you'll need to shock within a week or are already doing so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.