LifeTime Supporter
Jul 14, 2011
St. Paul, MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am wondering if should be concerned about 0.5ppm CC in my pool. I just received my TF-100 a few days ago, and for 3 days in a row my CC has been 0.5. I only have a few days worth of data, but I believe my pool is consuming about 3ppm of FC per day, and it has been hot here: mid-90s air temps, high 80s pool water temp.

Here is my full set of test results:
FC - 3ppm (tested in evening before daily bleach addition)
CC - 0.5ppm (single drop turns from pink to clear)
pH - 7.5
TA - 140ppm
CYA - 32ppm
CH - ~200ppm

Is there any need to shock? I haven't performed the OCLT yet.

If your pool is clear I see nothing that indicates a need to shock. You can run the OCLT just to be sure.

Some pools just run with a CC of .5. It may actually be less. Do you keep your pool covered?
You could run the FC/CC test using a 25ml sample and multiply the results by .2 instead of .5.

Hey neighbor! (Lino Lakes)

Yesterday and today sure has been a nice change of weather!

I am not sure exactly what causes a 0.5 ppm CC reading, but it commonly happens to me. I reacted the first two times I saw it and shocked but both times passed the tests right away(see http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool).

You might want to read up here on the Nature2 system, use the google search at the bottom of the page. Here is one example: http://www.troublefreepool.com/nature-2-system-and-chemicals-t15870.html

Welcome to the forum!

Hi Linen - I have read the info on this site regarding Nature 2. I purchased the cartridge for this year before I discovered TFP, so my plan was to use the Nature 2 for the rest of the summer but not buy a new cartridge next year. Are there any drawbacks for using an already payed for Nature 2 cartridge, besides the staining potential? I am maintaing my chlorine levels as if the Nature 2 wasn't there.

Hi Bama Rambler - I keep my pool uncovered. I am guessing that the CC will break down quicker in an uncovered pool?

The pool water is clear and sparkles (at least in my opinion, being it is my first year with the pool). I will complete the OCLT just to confirm shocking isn't necessary.

I guess I would just remove the cartridge, though I am not aware of short term problems other than staining and green hair. Why put it in if it is not needed?

Edit: Bear in mind, I am a bit of a minimalist

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.