upgrading to a new pump

May 30, 2010
i was thinking of changing my pump. right now i have a 3/4hp pump and was thinking of getting a bigger one. is there a recommeded size for my pool considering the size of the pool and the size of my filter. my pool size is 16' x 32' depth is 3' to 8'. my filter is a 200lb hayward sand filter. the reason why i want to change the pump is that i have been having alot of filter problems. as soon as my pool gets cloudy it takes a couple of weeks to clear up. i dont think its the filter, i just changed the sand this year. i thought that if i had a stronger pump it would help filter the water faster. if you could give me any suggestions it would be great

I wouldn't change to a bigger size pump unless you also change to a bigger filter. Your problem is most likely chemical rather than mechanical.

Post a set of test results and how you got them. Maybe we can help you figure out why it's getting cloudy in the first place.
pH
FC
CC
TA
CH
CYA

the pool was looking great for about a month. then we got a little storm and my pool went green. it took me about a week but i got the green out, now its just cloudy and it doesnt seem to be going away. i cant let the pool run for too long do to electric cost but i think 4 to 6hrs a day should be sufficent.

There is no need for a larger pump, your existing pump is more than enough. A larger filter would filter more efficiently, ie catch more debris. It is common for a sand filter to take a week or more to clear up the water after an algae outbreak. Running the pump 24/7 will clear the water more quickly. Six hours a day is fine for normal use, but when cleaning up after algae it is best to run the pump 24/7.

hemieli said:
Bama Rambler your pool is half the size of mine and your pump is twice as big as mine why would i need a bigger filter for a bigger pump
The reason my pump is the size it is, is because I was pool stored, plain and simple. When I buy a new pump it will be a much smaller, 2-speed pump. I like the size filter I have for the size pool I have, but if I were to change from sand I would go with a 400 ft² cartridge filter or a large DE filter. As Jason said, a larger filter would filter more efficiently and too small a filter for the pump size would possibly allow debris to be forced by the media or cause channeling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.