Correlation Between Low FC and Low Ph?

Jun 28, 2011
Rockville, MD
I tried to search for a string on this topic, but I was unsuccessufl. If it has already been addressed, I apologize, and please point me to the discussion. But, is there a link between low FC and low Ph? Over the past couple of days of extremely high heat here on the East Coast, our FC level has been very low in the evenings, and our Ph has been dropping. We've shocked, and the FC comes back up, but by the next evening, it is low. Last night, both FC and Ph were low. I forget the FC level, but it was the lowest level on our test strip, and the PH was 6.4. We shocked with cal hypo and we added 3 lbs of soda ash. This morning, the FC is 20 and the Ph is 8.4. Now, the water is cloudy, but I suspect that is from the cal hypo and maybe even a little undissolved soda ash. Our filter will clear the cloudiness, right? Thanks, in advance, for any adivce you've got!
Ruth

No, there is no correlation. I'd bet that your cloudiness is a result of letting the chlorine drop so low. It's important to maintain the minimum level on the Chlorine CYA Chart at all times.

The reason you are seeing high pH today is because you have high FC. The pH test is affected by the high chlorine level, so it's difficult to get accurate pH readings while your FC is high.

Thanks so much for the responses! Yes, I have read about the better test kits on this site. We got those test strips with our pool set-up and we thought we'd use those until we run out. But, now I see we need to order that better test kit now!

One more question - so if the cloudiness after shocking is due to the low chlorine level we had, does that mean we probably had algae or some other organics starting that we just couldn't see? Our water was very clear and sparkly before we shocked and added the soda ash. Thanks, again! I so very much appreicate your help!
Ruth

While I also recommend just ordering the TF-100, if you do decide to go to Leslies don't let them talk you into less than the K-2006 equivilent. They are bad about telling people that the kits are the same but they're not. It must have the FAS-DPD test not just the DPD test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.