Ooops. Wrong HP pump?

recoil

Aug 10, 2007
Hey guys. I'm back. I replaced my Intelliflo 3HP system with a Hayward 1HP pump the local store had. My pool was a crazy green since I waited a couple weeks before replacing the pump. After the first night, on boost (SWG), my pool turned milky white. A couple days later, I could see the bottom on the shallow end (but not super clearly).

A week has gone by and it hasn't gotten any better. My filter is reading 10PSI. It's been reading that all week. I backwashed once (gauge never went up so I didn't bother to backwash).

I'm wondering if my flow is too low to properly filter (can that be?). Or is my filter "channeled"? I don't have a way to measure the gallons per minute going through.

I have a Sand Dollar 80. I didn't see a "minimum flow rate" to work properly.

Am at a loss as to what to do next.

Steve

I think channeling is more likely when you have too much flow, rather than too little, because the water creates easy pathways as it forces its way through.

However, I think you can take the top of the filter and carefully swish the sand around to get rid of any channels, so that can be eliminated.

With a smaller pump, you'd have to run it for longer to get the same amount of water through the filter though. Is it running 24/7 while trying to clear the pool?

Also, do you have any test results? Maybe the algae isn't as dead as you want it to be and you need to keep the chlorine levels up for longer.

You'd swish with your hand, taking care not to damage the laterals at the bottom of the sand.

But I'd hold off doing that until someone comes along who knows more about pumps and can tell you if your pump really is underpowered for the size of pool (not so much the sand filter).

And it would be very helpful to see some test results.

Have you read pool school (top right)?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.