New Pool in North Dallas

tjslice

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 19, 2011
This is my first post here! First off, I want to thank everyone for all the great information! I have decided to go the BBB way with a SWG for our new pool. We have received several quotes and designs that are very similar. The last one, however, just blew us away. Our first reaction was that it is way out of our price range. However, the price quoted is about what we planned to spend:

96' perimeter play pool. 3.5' to 5' depth.
I don't remember the exact dimensions, but it was about 16,000 gallons if I remember correctly.
1 large waterfall, and 2 smaller ones.
Flagstone Coping.
620 sq. ft. of paver decking
All Pentair equipment. Quad DE filter, Intellichlor SWG, Intelliflow variable speed pump. Easy Touch controls.
Pebble Tech finish.

$46000. The only thing not included was sprinklers. We are planning another $1200 to $1500 for that.

This was a handshake agreement so far. There were a few things we wanted changed in the design, so the bid wasn't formalized at the time.

This is the newest design, and is pretty much exactly what we want. Comments?
[attachment=0:3u26a1c6]pool1.jpg[/attachment:3u26a1c6]

Attachments

• pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 1,323
Keeping your grass that green around the pool with this drought and heat dome is gonna cost you more than the pool just to water it!
Didn't I mention that was part of the deal? :-D

Does the price point seem about right? The other bids we received were generally around $45K. They were similiar in size, but only had about 350 sq. ft. of decking and only one water feature.

The other concern we have is about the salt eating away the flagstone & rocks. We have several neighbors that have that problem. After reading the forums, I am convinced that has more to do with water chemistry than anything else. I don't even have a pool yet, and I am suggesting they head over to the forums... you guys have me brainwashed already!

I'm keeping a 1.25 acre lot green in this heat and drought.

So, here's my tip, it saves me a lot of money. See if they can run you a second water meter while they are at it, strictly for filling the pool and for your irrigation system. This one won't get charged for sewer and such, and can be a real money saver.

Regarding the flagstone, my neighbors with salt pools have the same issues - 3 had to have their coping replaced.

Jason Lion mentioned that the flagstone we have here in Texas that the pool builders use may not be suitable for pools. I don't know what the correct answer to your question is, other than my friends with chlorine pools and flagstone are fine but my friends with salt pools and flagstone have problems. I too think the water chemistry, balance and maintenance are to blame, rather than the chlorine vs. salt but who knows.

Just a thought to consider. Good luck.

We haven't decided on a builder yet, but may do so in the next day or two. The builder we are most likely to go with did specifically mention a second pump for the waterfalls... the others didn't say one way or the other.

We have received bids from Playmore Pools, Gold Medal, Masterpiece Pools, and one other I can't think of at the moment.

I'll be interested in hearing who you choose. I live in Frisco myself and have decided to wait until the winter to build. Since I won't be able to use the pool this summer, I figured I would wait and not take the tax hit on the build. (if you wait until later in the year - you won't be hit with the increase in value).

I've received 5 quotes (none from the 3 you listed). I will probably work with either, Riverbend or Hauk. I heard alot of good things about Gold Medal - just didn't like the Hayward equipment they install so ruled them out.

Here are my specs roughly
- 105 linear feet
- 34 long by 23 wide
- 8 1/2 feet deep
- 18 inch raised spa (7 1/2 feet)
- Grotto waterfall (maybe)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good to see more North Dallas people! I am in Frisco and completed my pool in March. I have been hanging out in the water treatment section of the site but decided to stop by the construction part and see what is happening.

tsj - your price seem very fair. There are several good builders in the area so just do your research on them and hopefully you will have a great experience.

One thing to think about - the waterfall that is backed up to the house you will not see and may block you view of the pool. I have lots of kids swimming and like to have a clear view of all the water surface so you might want to think about that if you have kids.

I am using BBB and have been very happy so far. We did not do salt because of problems friends have had with their flagstone and just did not want to risk it.

Good luck and keep the pics coming.

Permits are underway!

The design is pretty much the same as the picture with just a couple of small tweaks.

35' x 23'. 98' perimeter. 506 sq. ft.
15,800 gallons
Pebble Tec interior, Flagstone coping.
Depth of 3.5' to 5.5'
650 sq. ft of pavers for the deck.
Pentair Equipment: SWG, DE Filter (60)
SVRS Pump, Booster Pump for the cleaner, and a third pump for the waterfalls.
Polaris 280 Cleaner
2.5" suction lines, 2.0" return.
500W light
Easy Touch controls.

Looks like a great design, looking forward to see the build pictures. Who did you end up going with? I live in NFW and wondering are there advantages/disadvantages to chosing someone on my side of the metrolplex or do most builders work all over DFW?

The county approved the permits on the same day, but our local city permits took a while, but we finally got them on Friday.. 8/26.

Excavation took place yesterday, 8/31. I am sure it is normal, but a lot more dirt came out of the hole then I thought there would be! The crew arrived bright and early and from start to finish were done in about 9 hours.

The rebar guys showed up early this morning, followed by the plumping crew. The rebar was finished about noon, and the plumping is going in as I type.

We went with http://www.masterpiecepools.com/. So far we have been very impressed. It is a father/son business. Every single interaction has been with one of the two, including sales and design, and they have been on site 75% of the time.

We are ahead of schedule, and the PB is trying to get an inspection for tomorrow. If that happens, gunite will be on Tuesday (due to the holiday). Otherwise, the inspection will be Tuesday and gunite Wednesday.

Here are some pictures of the excavation. I will post some plumbing ones tonight.[attachment=3:33ea69wd]DSCN0285.JPG[/attachment:33ea69wd][attachment=3:33ea69wd]DSCN0285.JPG[/attachment:33ea69wd]

Attachments

• DSCN0289.JPG
    DSCN0289.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 894
  • DSCN0295.JPG
    DSCN0295.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 894
  • DSCN0285.JPG
    DSCN0285.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 880
Congrats on starting the project... I am also in Frisco and am waiting on the permits to get approved. They were submitted about 2.5 weeks ago, so I hope it wont take much longer. We ended up going with Hobert Pools. I have heard good and bad things about all builders, so I just hope we are lucky to be on the good side and have the build go without a hitch. Thus far they have been very responsive but we will see once the actual build gets started.

Your pool design looks great, but I do agree with partypond regarding the line of sight with the water features. We too made a couple changes in the placement of the Spa as it would prevent a clear view of the pool from the inside of the house. But... that is just my 2 cents as I have kids.

But again best of luck on the project and keep us posted with LOTS of pics.. we love pics... hehehe

shcuck said:
Your pool design looks great, but I do agree with partypond regarding the line of sight with the water features.

Thanks. We actually moved the pool a few feet from the original design... mostly so my wife could see the entire main waterfall from the back door. By doing that, the water feature on the front side is directly in line with a column on our back patio that blocks the line of sight anyway, so we just added to it bit. We also have lots of windows in the back, so I don't think it will be an issue.

Steel & Plumbing complete. The inspection is on for tomorrow.

Attachments

• DSCN0312.JPG
    DSCN0312.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 864
  • DSCN0314.JPG
    DSCN0314.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 865
  • DSCN0326.JPG
    DSCN0326.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 864
The gunite crew arrived at 7 am. After 3 1/2 hours of work, we have what looks like a pool!

Attachments

• DSCN0362.JPG
    DSCN0362.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 750
  • DSCN0358.JPG
    DSCN0358.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 751
  • DSCN0357.JPG
    DSCN0357.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 751

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.