New Pool Owner: Needs Help With Initial Chemical Setup

Jul 21, 2011
Hello, I just purchased an above ground pool from Namco. It is a Willow size 21 inch with a 52 inch wall. I had it installed and have put water in it but am unsure of where to go from there. If someone could please let me know what chemicals i need to place in the water and in what order. I am a first time pool owner and am unsure about initial setup. Thank you in advance for all your help.

Begin by spending this evening reading Pool School. Take notes on the section Test Kits compared and decide if you will order a TF100 or some other suggested kit which probably also must be special ordered. Then bookmark the Chlorine/CYA chart and the Pool Calculator.

You will need to test the pool to find out the pH and the TA. Also test FC, CC, TC, and CH (see Pool School for what those are). The pool store can usually do that for you but don't let them sell you anything just yet. Pool store testing is sketchy most of the time but it gives you a starting point. You can fine tune after you get a recommended test kit.

You will need to buy CYA (stabilizer) and chlorine (bleach or liquid shock product). You may need to buy some other things to adjust pH and that will be done first so get that test data ASAP.

About 30 minutes after you get the pH correct, you can add stabilizer and perhaps a few hours later the bleach. Go on and calculate how much stabilizer you will need to get to 50 ppm, you will only go from 0 ppm to 30 ppm at first, but you want to have enough on hand for later. You will read in Pool School exactly how to do this, I'm just giving you the highlights, so you know what you are looking for.

Reactions: JurgensRN
Welcome to the forum :lol: Please start by reading "The ABC's of Pool water Chemistry" in pool school at the top right of this page. This forum is all about teaching and you have to start by gaining a basic understanding of what parameters are important.

Secondly, you will need to provide us with a set of test results so we can see if your pool needs anything.....it may not but only test results will help us. If you do not already have one, A good test kit is almost mandatory to follow the methods we teach here.

mcruz331 said:
Hello, I just purchased an above ground pool from Namco. It is a Willow size 21 inch with a 52 inch wall. I had it installed and have put water in it but am unsure of where to go from there. If someone could please let me know what chemicals i need to place in the water and in what order. I am a first time pool owner and am unsure about initial setup. Thank you in advance for all your help.
21 inch? Sounds like a trash can, not a pool! LOL

Welcome! We won't let a typo get in the way.

Head on over to Pool School and get yourself educated. In particular,
pool-school/temporary_pool_guide Ignore the temporary thing - same process. Also pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.