Baquacil Conversion

Apr 15, 2007
Hi all, I am new to this site and I just wanted to let you know that I have completed my conversion process from Baquacil to Chlorine. After reading as much as I can on the other websites I decided to take the plunge..After 8 years I have finally converted..I was tired fighting the cloudy water/late season algae that Baquacil was always creating...All in all, the process wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. I started last Saturday and the pool is finally clear today. It went thru a series of colors from murky green, to gatorade lime to clear. I used roughly 25 of the large gallon jugs of Ultra Bleach that you can find at WalMart...There was alot of goop in my filter and I had to constantly backwash to keep at lower psi levels...so here are my latest readings

FC = 3 (i can't get it to stay higher yet) just put some more chlorine in tonight..will check reading in the morning
TC = 3
PH = 7.0 (seems low to me)
TA = 100
CH = 270

I can't seem to get a good reading on my CYA...I am using a leslie's service DPD kit -i think it is made by Taylor....Any suggestions...

I have a 30,000 gallon, vinyl lined pool and am using a Hayward DE Filter.

If I get the FC up further what are my next steps in this process...where do I want to maintain these levels on a pool this size...

Help???

If you have no CYA, you will have trouble keeping chlorine in your pool. Until you get a handle on your CYA reading, we cannot advise where your FC should be. Usually a CYA of 30-50 is recommended, for which you need a FC of 3-6 with shock at 10. This seems to be the optimal CYA to keep your chlorine from burning off too fast, without having to keep a high FC.

Your pH is a tad low... you need to use some borax to bump it up a tad... Somebody else can tell you how much approx. you will need to get to about 7.4

Welcome to the forum!

Hi folks, thanks for the insight...I will post my test results shortly but just wanted to say thanks..The pool looks the clearest it ever has so I am truly happy that I went for the conversion...I have changed the filter media, [post conversion and have been running filter constantly...still trying to figure out the best way to adjust the chemicals...so I will do some reading now..where is the best place to start???

what I want to know is where can i find the add in calcs for chemicals..if ph is low/high how much to add?? if chlorine low, how much?? wil the bleach calculator tell me??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.