I'm having a heck of a time getting my TA in line

FastCougar

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2011
Eastern Panhandle of WV
I'm having a heck of a time getting my TA in line since my fill source (water hose fed from city water) is in the 250-260 range :shock:

The last two cycles of acid from 7.6-7.8 down to 7.0 and aeration has me still hovering right around the 120-130 TA range. I'm in my 3rd acid/aeration cycle in 3 days now ... hopefully I can break through the 100 mark with this treatment. I'm adding about 1 inch of water to the pool every 3 or 4 days due to evap loss and since my fill source has such a high TA, I think I'm doomed to living with a higher than normal TA. Does this mean I shouldn't do Borates, or can I do the Borates with a higher than normal TA?

Re: So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How

FastCougar, you can use borates, but they aren't going to help nearly as much as they can help others. When you live in an area with high fill water TA levels and lots of evaporation, the best thing to do is to install an automated PH feed system of one kind or another.

Or if its practical, you can get a pool cover that will completely eliminate evaporation. If you don't want the pool to get any hotter, then get a mostly white/reflective cover.

JasonLion said:
When you live in an area with high fill water TA levels and lots of evaporation, the best thing to do is to install an automated PH feed system of one kind or another.
I'm adding acid every day now ... that's fairly automated :lol:

I think that once I start to use the solar cover, things will change, but I'm already through my 5th gallon of acid (aerating tonight) and I'm at 110 ... I'm hoping to be below 100 by this time tomorrow ... once I hit my target and then Borate the pool, the cover will help tremendously with the evap and I'll just have to monitor the TA after every fill. Will bringing the TA down after Borates be harder since they act as a buffer to changes?

With borates in the water it takes more acid to change the PH by a given amount. That also means you can go longer between acid additions, though it is hard to say if it will be enough longer to add acid every other day.

I have finally gotten into the 70-80 TA range. It tested 70 today with PH of 7.2 and tested 80 yesterday evening with the same PH. PH appears to be stable now for the last 24 hours, so I'm planing on simply under cutting the acid when adding the borates to bring the PH in around 7.5 ... not sure how I would calculate this since the Borates will act as a buffer to the PH. However, since the acid should be added first, I planned on shorting the acid by the difference between lowering my PH from 7.5 to 7.2 ... that should get me in the ballpark no?

Got the first half in, brushed it twice quickly because a storm was approaching and managed to get the second half in and brushed once before the front decided to push through ... just dropped about 1" of rain in the last 20-30 minutes but is moving out. Once the rain stops and the water around the pool base recedes, I'll be heading back out to brush some more :D

Re: New borate drop test at piscines-apollo vs. test strip

It's been 48 hours (pump running non-stop) with a little bit of acid added after 24 hours to bring pH down to 7.4-7.3 range from 7.8 ... still the same 24 later, so appears stable, but that could be the solar blanket doing it's job as well. Not sure how to read these results ... looks like 50 to me.

[attachment=0:1otqmr6t]IMG_6697.jpg[/attachment:1otqmr6t]

Attachments

• IMG_6697.jpg
    IMG_6697.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 57
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.