Pool water tested at store their recommendations

Jul 2, 2011
China Grove, NC
I had my water tested at the pool store a few days ago.
Here are their results and their recommendations:
Test Results their recommended range
Free Chlorine 5.0 2.0-4.0
Total Chlorine 5.0 2.0-4.0
Combined Chlorine 0.0 0.0-0.1
PH 7.8 7.2-7.8
Hardness 100 ppm 175-350
Alkalinity (with Stabilizer correction) 89 100-150
Cyanuric Acid 70ppm 30-100
Salt 2840

They want me to add 8lb 8oz of Alkalinity Up, and 19lb 10oz of Calcium Up And 3lb of PH down

I just finished testing the water, (I did test the CL an PH on the same day they did and had the same results)
Today:
CL 5
PH 7.5
Calcium Hardness 100
FC 1
CC 2
TC 3
Salt 2740
CYA 70
Alkalinity 12

Should I add the stuff they suggested?
I am on my way outside right now to add salt, any other suggestions? :party:

I'm having trouble making out your results. Your CL is 5, but then you have your FC (Free Chlorine) 1, CC (Combined Chlorine) 2, TC (Total Chlorine) 3.

FC + CC= TC, thus 1 + 2 = 3, So, I really don't know where the 5 is coming from. When your CC is .5 or higher it is a good indication that something is trying to take hold in the water, whether is be an algae bloom or something else. Maybe you just got your FC and CC results mixed up?

The alkalinity by the pool store is 89
I forgot to multiply by 10 so mine would be 120

I was working and hubby asked me 3 times about the water, so I started testing :hammer: and daughter came in with dinner...etc :(

Not to mention staying up working until 5:30 am last night so I could spend the day in the pool. I love the pool! The water temperature is 90 :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
fsteve65 said:
The pool store results are almost always off it is in there best interest they get to sell you something ..Have you read Pool School if not do so it will save you alot of money over pool store chemicals.

Have you read "Pool School"? There is a ton of info on there! So much to remember! I have copied and pasted a lot from there and printed it out. I have 8 pages, I carry around with me! lol

I would love to have it simplified! Is there a spreadsheet with recommendations for amounts, and how often everything should be tested? I am working on one for myself, condensed to one page!

This is the best site! I have learned everything I know from this site. (I know it doesn't seem like I know anything, but I do have a nice test kit and pool brush!)

I know I need to read more, but right now I am staying busy with work. I photograph weddings and then spend the rest of the week processing images on the computer. :D

anonapersona said:
When I am testing, and someone comes near to talk to me, I start counting out loud, " seventeen, eighteen, nineteen...." They always get that they need to wait just a moment.

I used that on my daughter tonight when she came in talking! Usually when I am trying to test the water no one is around. But tonight her and hubby thought they should talk to me. :blah:

Richard320 said:
Shame on you!!

You've found this forum, you've read the threads, and you still let yourself get pool-stored!

Just for that, you have to brush all our pools. :whip:

LOL! I was afraid I might be doing something wrong! But mostly I went in there for a handle for my whale tail brush XL, that was recommended on this site! The handle that was on the skimmer wouldn't fit it and I couldn't figure out which to order online for it! It works great though now.

I bought the stuff they recommended but was smart enough not to put it in the pool before I checked here first though!

I don't mind brushing at all bring it on! That brush glides through the water! I did mine today! :whoot:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.