NW Chicago Suburb, IL
FC 4
CC 0
TA 160
PH 7.6
CA 250 or so.
CYA 70
Salt 2900

Just noticed that my TA has crept up from 120 to 160. I have been running the slide a lot and I have a new pool mister fountain to try and help cool my water that I have been running for a few hours a day.

Strange thing is, is that my PH has been staying right around 7.6 forever. Has not been creeping up at all, so I have not been adding any MA.

Do I really need to bring down that 160 TA if my PH is staying put??

Thanks.

Barring any problems with a high CH, you should be fine. We would recommend bringing the TA down if your acid additions were frequent.

Only real problem with TA is when it gets too low. Then, it just gets to hard to maintain your pH.

Other than that, just maintain your TA to keep your CSI in line.

Problems such as high TA are self correcting. The bigest problem with high TA (other if CSI is not in check) is frequent acid additions. And the cure for high TA: Frequent acid additions.

I've found chasing TA to be one of the biggest pool store scams: OH NO... your TA is 70... that's WAY too low. Add all these chemicals to bring it up. Oh... might as well buy a bunch of checmicals to correct your pH. And after you get used to adding acid on a daily basis... Make sure you bring your water in for us to re-test, because you are SURE to drive your TA back down "too low" again. We can start the process all over again!!!! Did you get our flyer about our sale on "shock"?

I've found chasing TA to be one of the biggest pool store scams:
Additionally, it seems to me we overemphasize it just a little here on the forum as well.

My thinking is, if you are keeping a pH in the mid 7's without much effort, just let the TA seek it's own level. If it ain't broke...... :lol:

Why does the "Water Balance For SWCGs" pool school section say:
Adjust your Total Alkalinity to 60-80 ppm. (This is IMPORTANT!)
Is this because of build up on the plates or something else? I ask because I ran my swcg last year (put pool up late in season) and the beginning of this year with high TA and had apparent no problems. It wasn't until just before adding borates that i got it down.

No, it's not, aside from pushing pH up constantly. And waskydiver said it best
Problems such as high TA are self correcting. The bigest problem with high TA (other if CSI is not in check) is frequent acid additions. And the cure for high TA: Frequent acid additions.

It's not a health hazard by any means - you bathe and drink that same water!

linen said:
Why does the "Water Balance For SWCGs" pool school section say:
Adjust your Total Alkalinity to 60-80 ppm. (This is IMPORTANT!)
Is this because of build up on the plates or something else? I ask because I ran my swcg last year (put pool up late in season) and the beginning of this year with high TA and had apparent no problems. It wasn't until just before adding borates that i got it down.

SWG's with high TA drive up pH like... well... something that is really good at driving up pH.

There are people here who can explain it scientifically until your eyes bleed... but I am not one of them.

But, even in those conditions, your TA will tend to find it's own sweetspot as long as you maintain your pH with acid, and keep your eye on your CSI.

And, when you see your CSI is high, most times the most direct action is to keep your pH lower, which lowers your CSI... And the acid which you will be adding will lower TA, which will lower your CSI.

Chasing numbers that don't need to be chased can be very costly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.