Intex Easy Set and diatomaceous Earth

May 31, 2011
I have an Easy Set 18' pool with the Intex 1500 Gallon filter pump (I believe it's 1500 gallon, the pool is three years old and uses the B catridge). I had some brown slime growing on the pool floor, so I used my pool brush and scrubbed it up. Now what I assumed to be dead algae is floating around the pool, causing the water to become cloudy. I've tried shocking and algae guard and the water remains cloudy. I read about diatomaceous earth and how well this works to clear up cloudy water and allow dead algae to be filtered out more effectively. is this something I can use with this type of filter (without damaging it)?

Thanks!

No. You can add DE to sand filters, but you don't want to add DE to a cartridge filter. You can get a similar effect using one of the fiber based DE substitutes, which are compatible with cartridge filters.

Clearing the pool of dead algae will only occur after the shocking process is successful.

Most people have been schooled to think that throwing shock product in is the correct way to shock. If you read here you will find that this does not work, and that you have to maintain shock levels rather than raise to shock and walk away.

Read pool school (white button, upper right of this site) and especially the how to shock your pool information. If you follow the guidelines there, the filter cartridge will eventually catch the dead algae because none is growing back when chlorine levels fall below shock.

Even 1ppm below shock level for more than an hour or so can cause a stall. If you are repeatedly falling below shock, algae gets a chance to re-grow and the pool owner just ends up chasing their tail for weeks on end. Shocking properly stops tail chasing and you will see the results in a few days instead of weeks and weeks of same.

And of course, a good test kit is essential. Without it you can only guess what's going on and you won't be able to know if you fall 1ppm below shock an hour after adding chlorine. Read through all the information, and read threads where green swamps are cleared to sparkly. You will soon see that once pool owners shock properly, everything just falls into place and the pool clears right up. Even crummy Intex filters can clear a properly shocked pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.