Max amount Muriatic Acid per day?

Jul 17, 2011
I've been trying to get my TA down (currently around 150) following the directions on this site to lower pH then aerate. My problem is that I can't seem to get my pH below 7.5. I read somewhere that you shouldn't add more than 1 pint of MA per 10,000 gallons per day. My pool is about 15,000 gallons, so I've been adding 1.5 pints per day, but this seems necessary just to keep the pH at 7.5.

This is a new plaster pool (completed in April) . Here are my complete test results:

FC 4.5
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 150
CH 250
CYA 50

/Dan

I read somewhere that you shouldn't add more than 1 pint of MA per 10,000 gallons per day.
Nope. Put in as much as you need to make the change you need. That said, it is a good idea to "sneak up" on the pH goal by adding say 70% or so of the amount calculated and then testing and adding the remaining dose to get to your goal.

I have added 1.5 gallons in one shot to my pool. Granted, it's a fairly large pool but there is no "maximum" amount.

Wow, even with my small pool I would have never gotten anywhere with limiting myself to that amount per day. My dose for a while was 1/2 gallon of MA for a 5400 gallon pool. (Back when my TA was 325 -350).

I would guess the 1 1/2 pints per day was something designed for people that do not undertand chemical interaction and are not on top of their water testing results. This might buy the manuf. some legal outs in case someone added too much and did damage to their pool.

My fill water is 250-260 with a pH of 7.0-7.2 (tested 3 times) and with my 27'x52" 15,500 gal pool, it took me 5 days and 6 gallons of MA to get it down to the 70-80 level ... it's frustrating, trust me ... I thought I was never going to get below 100. Be sure to test your fill water so you know what you are in for!

Since we are on the topic of ph and muriatic acid :) how often should I be adding muriatic acid to keep my ph 7.6? I mean thus far I have been adding once a week but then again I was getting bad results from Leslie's telling me my ph was ok. But either way should I be adjusting every couple of days to keep ph on level or is one a week ok ?

RafaelS said:
Since we are on the topic of ph and muriatic acid :) how often should I be adding muriatic acid to keep my ph 7.6? I mean thus far I have been adding once a week but then again I was getting bad results from Leslie's telling me my ph was ok. But either way should I be adjusting every couple of days to keep ph on level or is one a week ok ?
Test your chlorine and pH often. Daily... Every other day... Wouldn't want to go much longer than that if my pH was not stable. How often to add MA A can be preference and also determined by how low you drop it. When my pH gets to 7.8, I add enough MA to get down to 7.0 -7.2. Repeat once it gets back up to 7.8. If I were only dropping it to 7.6, I would be adding every day almost! After numerous "cycles" I add MA a lot less than I did when I had a higher TA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.