1st winter AGP & mesh cover

Jun 5, 2007
Massachusetts
thanks to a lot of great advice here I went ahead and bought a mesh winter cover for my above ground pool. closing went like a breeze, and all has been well until now. I'm in massachusetts and we have gotten slammed with more snow before jan 1 than I think we got all last winter combined...it's fallen, it's melted and it's fallen again...right now it's snowing out and they are predicting about 4" before this storm is over + freezing rain to follow--and another storm rolling in on thursday.

my question/worry is will so much snow damage the pool using a mesh cover? I had drained it down as described but now with all the snow/water from melting ect. I'm guessing the level has risen up to about 8" below the top rim of the pool. I haven't noticed any water coming out of the skimmer (left it open but disconected all plumbing beyond ball joint) but can't say for sure. I really don't care if I have to replace the skimmer come spring, but I'm worried if I'll have damage to the actual pool itself :shock: :cry:

any thoughts?

If the winterization was done correctly then everything will be fine. Essentially, as long as water doesn't get into the pipes you will be fine. The structure of the pool can handle lots of water and snow and ice as long as the pressure is uniform all the way around. The one way you can get into trouble is if the snow all gets pushed/blown to one side, or the cover gets frozen in the ice on one side and blown around on the other and so pulls very unevenly, either of which could cause one of the sides falls in. But it generally takes a dramatic imbalance for that to happen.

You should be fine. We have had a mesh cover for some time - lots of snow and ice up this way every year. If the plumbing is off, no worries. Those covers come with enough surplus to allow room to drop down and snow build up, etc. When it all starts to melt this spring, the extra water will drop through the mesh cover and run out the open return or skimmer holes. When the water in the pool freezes, it goes UP so the sides of the pool are fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.