Help - leaf-tastrophe!

MLock

Jul 5, 2011
Indianapolis
We've been in a heatwave here in Indianapolis and two of my trees behind the pool are shedding leaves like it is mid-October. I've been cleaning my skimmer basket twice a day, and my trap basket every other day. But today I got home and my skimmer basket blew out the side due to so many leaves while I was at work.

I shut down the system (it sounded funny), cleaned out the skimmer, and went to the trap -- it was completely packed with leaves and had also cracked. Cleaned it out, stuck my hand toward the impeller as far as I could go, and cleaned out some more leaves. This is not good.

Replaced both baskets, but now the pressure on my filter (250sq ft sta-rite cartridge) is about 4psi, where before it was 15psi with a clean filter (higher with some dirt).

Any thoughts on what it could be? I'm running off the skimmer or main drain with same results. Is the motor bad now? Is the piping under the pool filled with leaves? What can I do?

I'm new... probably obviously.

I have seen folks report good sucess by using a Drain King in an attempt to clear the clog by forcing it back out through the skimmer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.