Chlorine chart

May 1, 2010
I've been teaching a non techie how to use BBB to take care of his pool. We got him a test kit, and defeated the alage and now he needs to maintain. He is not a computer person and I don't think has ever heard of an "app". Isn't there a chart I can print that shows how much bleach to add to raise FC, based on the CYA?
Thanks!

It would be almost impossible to make a generic chart for that, the amount you have to add is different depending on the size of the pool, CYA level, etc., so there would have to be an almost endless number of charts. You could probably make him one though, since you are only targeting one size pool.

How big is his pool? You could just break it down super simple for him - a large jug of clorox = Xppm of chlorine for his pool. Then he can just add a 1/4 jug, 1/2 jug... etc. Could do a similar thing with acid to rough in a ph.

For the rest of it maybe he could tell you his results twice a year and you could calc anything he needs......

Perhaps you can go on to the pool calculator, enter the volume of his pool and then create a table of what it takes to raise or lower the different parameters for their pool by 0.1, 1, or 10 ppm as appropriate (pH, FC, CYA, ...).

I did basically that a long time ago. Put in my gallons and plugged in now values and target values to determine what was needed to add .5, 1, 1.5, 2, etc. It is not exact, but it let me figure out that I could estimate closely by adding 11 oz for every 1ppm I need to add. Target FC does not change, so when I test, I figure out how far I am away from target and multiply by 11. Very easy to do in my head and keeps my smartphone away from water! So, all you need to do is figure out his target level and figure out how many ounces to add 1ppm.

If he doesn't want to do math in his head and will be using the same measuring cup each time, just take a sharpie and make marks up it at .5, 1, 1.5, 2.... You can figure these out using the calculator.

Acid would be harder.since it depends on TA level as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.