Question about Shocking

Jul 12, 2011
I don't see my situation on the chlorine/CYA chart. I have salt water (not for long- getting rid of it), CYA 48, FC 8.5, CC 1.

I also am new to this BBB method and self-testing.

I also am trying to determine how much liquid chlorine is needed to shock my pool.
Also, when testing alkalinity (Taylor 2006), I am supposed to add drops until the green turns "red". Does this mean the darkest color of "pink" shown on the tester? or does it mean when the green first goes away?

Isn't my FC of 8.5 too much? Won't adding more bleach to shock the pool send it even higher?

More questions:
When testing chl using the DPD powder in the Taylor kit it is impossible to get that little scooper perfectly filled with powder. How exact do I have to be?
Still don't know how much 6% bleach to put in.
Thanks

On the chlorine/cya chart, pick the closest CYA to yours and use that. If you only have 50 ppm CYA in a swcg pool you don't have enough but if you're getting rid of it just use the non-swg chart.

Your first order of business is to learn to use the Pool Calculator. It will tell you how much chlorine to use to get where you need to be.

On the TA test you drop till it stops changing color and then don't count the last drop.

The amount of powder isn't critical as long as there's enough to turn the sample pink.

Use the poolcalculator.com and make sure you select SWG in suggested goal level section and put 48 in the CYA now section. Then look down in the "Suggeste FC Levels" section and it will show the shock recommended shock levels. I am seeing 16 ppm for a normal shock level, so you need to go up and hold it to a least that...you are not shocking now.

But I want to know, why would you want to get rid of the salt water? It is a really good way to add chlorine, are you having problems?

The amount of powder you use in the chlorine test is a heaping spoonful, should have some undissolved powder in the bottom while testing.

Why are you shocking the pool? Does it need it or has someone told you that "a pool needs to be shocked weekly"? Around here we only shock when it is needed, not weekly and not weakly either. A pool needs to be shocked when you have CC > 0.5, have algae, FC has gone to 0, or an accident occurs (fecal or such).

Thank you so much for your help. I just found your answers so haven't been able to try your suggestions yet. I'm sure I'll have more ???

How do I get my pool info to show up under my signature each time? I know I entered it when I signed up for this site.

Susan531 said:
Thank you so much for your help. I just found your answers so haven't been able to try your suggestions yet. I'm sure I'll have more ???
When you log on, look on the right side of the page and you will see something like this:

User menu
Your User Name
-----------------------
Your posts