Adding Salt to Liquid Chlorinated Pool

amcmeans

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 10, 2010
Central California
Hello....I have very hard fill water....thinking of adding salt to improve the water feel.

I chlorinate with liquid....will adding salt impact testing or chlorine consumption?

Negative aspects of adding salt to a liquid chlorinated pool?

Thanks!

If your using liquid Chlorine your also adding salt already, Bleach/Liquid Chlorine breaks down to salt + Chlorine in the water (that is the simple version anyway). How much you have built up depends on water exchange levels and how long you have been chlorinating using liquid chlorine.

Ike

No downside to salt in a chlorine pool per se. Chlorine ultimately becomes salt as it is.

Depending on how hard your water is the salt can be helpful pushing your CSI down a bit.

I added salt to my pool and have been very happy with the result.

How much salt do you add to a chlorinated pool. I just started BBB, so I shouldn't have too high a salt level from the bleach. The pool store sells a very expensive salt, $40 or more, that is supposed to prevent scaling on equipment, etc. I would assume that this is not worth it? Right? Is it better to add Potassium Chloride? I think it only costs about $2 more for a 40lb bag than salt. We have a water softener for our house and like Potassium Chloride much better than salt - less residue in the dishwasher, etc. In Pool School, the Further Reading section, this page on adding salt to chlorine is not working. Question is: How much, how do you add it to the pool and which is better - salt, Pool Store $$$ salt, potassium chloride?

Ordinary sodium chloride is the least expensive, look for "Solar" salt sold for water softeners. Any of the big box hardware stores should have it for roughly $5 for 40 lbs.

For a good water feel you want about 2,000 ppm of salt. You should get your current level tested, or buy a salt tester. Then use the Pool Calculator to figure out how much salt you need to add.

Try this topic instead of the one from Further Reading.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.