Been Going Through LOTS of Bleach?????

Tbell

Jun 20, 2010
Tennessee
Quick question, My pool is looking great again this year thanks to BBB method. But....I added 2 182 oz. of 6% bleach and 2 96oz. 6% bleach night before last. Runnubg a 70 CYA level. FC level was at 20 PPM early yesterday morning. We are under accessive heat warnings here and have been a lot the last couple of weeks. Ok...I added approx. 2" of new water last evening and then did FC test again after the sun went down and it read 8.5 PPM. Is that possible? I am going to go get more bleach today...just have been using a LOT lately. Water temp has been staying between 92 and 94 for the last 2 weeks.

Are you shocking your pool? Why did you add so much bleach? If you were shocking, you need to check more than once per day and keep it above shock level. If you weren't shocking, you don't need to add that much bleach at a time. But, that being said, seems like the higher the level of bleach, the faster is is use. However, 11.5ppm seems like a lot. You probably should do a OCLT to see if it is the sun or if you have organics in the pool and you need to start the shocking process.

No I wasnt shocking it. LOL! Shock level for my pool at a CYA level of 70 is 29ppm. I just thought if I bumped it up to a 20 I wouldnt have to add any bleach for one evening and didn't think it would hurt anything. Just because I am getting old and those big jugs of bleach get heavy lugging the out there every evening. But if you think I need to shock I will. We have been using the pool quite a bit lately. It's dang hot here.

But I am showing 0 CC's and my ph is holding strong at 7.5 and TA is at 110...just seems like it has been burning around 7 PPM of FC a day and i didn't know if it was supposed to. I have been blaming it on the high temps.

aa62579 said:
Do you have a way to test FC and CC. I would do a OCLT tonight. It will tell you if you need to shock or if it is just this heat! I would be a bit wary based on the amount of loss and your CYA level.

Instructions found here.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/overnight_fc_test
Yes...I test with the TF-100 kit....I just checked my FC a minute ago and it was at 5.5...with a CYA of 70 ppm I understand I need to keep it between 5 and 8 ppm. I will add enough bleach this evening to get it back to around 9ppm and then do the OCLT. Thanks

lightingguy said:
Over your target FC level the chlorine is exposed to the sun. So loosing the first 11ppm very fast to the sun isn't surprising. Now that you are closer to your target FC level the loss should taper off.
Thank you....I thought I was doing myself a favor and staying ahead of the game by adding extra bleach. I didn't realize the sun would pull it right back out in such great amount. I appreciate the info. I like to keep it closer to 10 ppm running a cya of 70ppm.
I just did a test with the TF-100 here are my readings:
FC= 5.5 ppm
CC = 0
PH = 7.5
TA = 110
CYA = 70

Looking good!

I keep my pool about 1.5 to 2ppm over target as well. I use that number since that is what my pool has averaged in chlorine consumption each day and it makes me not worry so much if I miss a day. I think 10-12 would be a good place for you to keep your chlorine at. Might even figure out that you can keep it at 12 and add bleach every other day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wish I could run mine at 2 ppm....I hate having to keep it so high. Seems like no matter how much bleach I add I end up at 6.5 ppm every evening. LOL
I will try it at 12 ppm though. Sounds like a good number to me. Maybe this heat wave will end soon and I can go back to using a little less. Thanks so much.

I've been going through about 4.6ppm/day avg, but my CYA is around 90-95. :grrrr:

with this heat wave I decided to leave my fountain on, all day. I'm seeing a pH adjustment in my future. As long as the water doesn't get much above 90, I'm happy. It was 89 this morning and 93 yesterday (without fountain running).

I am a little north of you here in central KY and I have been adding 1 jug of bleach per day since it got hot. CYA ~60 and FC 2-3. Before the heat I was adding 1 jug every other day.
While I am not a fan of the heat, with out it, we wouldn't have a pool :wink:

Me too -- I'm in East TN and I'm adding a 182 oz. jug every other day. My CYA is around 75 and I'm trying to keep my FC between 10 and 12.

I find I'm adding water more often too -- which is Delightful on the wallet (emphasis on LIGHT, as in my wallet isn't weight much these days)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.