Pool water loss Normal for Down south??

fastlx

Jun 30, 2011
Hi everyone...

Great site..

I have been losing water in my in-ground liner pool. I have to add water every other day. it is a salt pool 23K gallons. In May I paid a tech to come and look for leaks.. He spent 3 hours and did not find one leak ( using sonar, scuba, etc equip)

My pool gets ALOT approx 10 hours a day of sun and it has been a brutal summer in Atlanta.

Would losing 1/2" a day be normal for these conditions?

Just wondering if any others are having the same problem down south?

Thanks,

Vic

During this drought I lose about 1 1/2 to 2 inches per week and my pool is in partial shade. If you want to be sure it is evaporation you can do the bucket test. Get a bucket and fill it about 1/2 full with pool water and set it on the pool steps. Mark the water level on the inside of the bucket with a sharpie. Mark the pool water level on the outside of the bucket as well. Leave the bucket in place for 24 hours and mark the new water levels inside and outside the bucket. The amount lost inside and outside should be very close if it is evaporation. If the difference outside the bucket is significant then you need to look for a leak.

Zea3, thanks for posting this. It's also been very hot and humid where I am. We've been adding about 1 inch of water every other day and I was wondering if that was normal. Will try this bucket test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.