DIY pool tile. Am I on the right track?

Oct 25, 2007
Yucaipa, CA
I'm building an IG gunite 25k gallon pool with a raised spa as an owner-builder. Over the years I've done a lot of ceramic tile work so I thought I would do the pool tile too and I have a few questions.

Is any special thinset, or grout used?
What's the best (and easiest) material for the spillway?
Any special considerations, or tips I need to know about?

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm so glad I found this site, it is a great help for the owner-builder.

11-2007038.jpg
[/img]

Is any special thinset, or grout used?
What's the best (and easiest) material for the spillway?

Normal thinset and grout work fine. I have no experience with a spillway but copper sheeting is what I think I've seen on other pools.

BTW, welcome to the forum....it's a great place

Marble can also be used for spillways (that's how mine was done) and there are several prefabricated ones on the market in various materials both with and without fiberoptics (which add a wonderful effect at night!) by such companies as Fiberstars, Jandy, and Polaris. Many of these are technically not really 'spillways' but they can be used for this purpose if incorporated into the pool and spa design.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.