Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DIY pool tile. Am I on the right track?

1. Back To Top    #1

DIY pool tile. Am I on the right track?

I'm building an IG gunite 25k gallon pool with a raised spa as an owner-builder. Over the years I've done a lot of ceramic tile work so I thought I would do the pool tile too and I have a few questions.

Is any special thinset, or grout used?
    What's the best (and easiest) material for the spillway?
    Any special considerations, or tips I need to know about?

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm so glad I found this site, it is a great help for the owner-builder.

[img][/img]
    21K - marcite - inground - Autopilot 48 SWG - 240 sq ft Pentair filter - 2hp 2sp Pentair pump - solar heater

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Is any special thinset, or grout used?
    What's the best (and easiest) material for the spillway?
    Normal thinset and grout work fine. I have no experience with a spillway but copper sheeting is what I think I've seen on other pools.

BTW, welcome to the forum....it's a great place
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Marble can also be used for spillways (that's how mine was done) and there are several prefabricated ones on the market in various materials both with and without fiberoptics (which add a wonderful effect at night!) by such companies as Fiberstars, Jandy, and Polaris. Many of these are technically not really 'spillways' but they can be used for this purpose if incorporated into the pool and spa design.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the info. Sounds easy enough for me to do. Any tips would be appreciated as far as where to start, or anything I should, or should not do.

It sounds pretty straight forward so I think it shouldn't be a problem.
    21K - marcite - inground - Autopilot 48 SWG - 240 sq ft Pentair filter - 2hp 2sp Pentair pump - solar heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to the forum.

Would you be willing to post a thread dedicated to your pool build. It would be fun to see and helpful to others.

Thanks,
    Dave
    -------
    Our pool-
    20x40 Free Form Gunite (3'-8'), 26,000 G, AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generator SC-48, Aqua blue pebble sheen, Textured Sundek, Pentair Easy touch with remote control, 1hp Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump, Max-E- Therm heater 333k BTU, System 3 Mod Media Cartridge filter, and Polaris 380 cleaner with booster pump