Suction leak?

Ok, so my pool was remodeled two weeks ago. Everything was running fine, until this past weekend. The valve was moved for the returns to the old spa jets and I ended up having water leaking at the SWG as the pressure was higher with the spa jets. About 25psi.

Fixed the SWG, tighten it up. I also lubed the SWG o-rings and the pump lid o-ring.

Since then, I seem to be pulling air into the pump and the filter is filling with air as well. All new equipment was installed (pump, filter, SWG) and connected to existing copper pipe and valves. Also a new skimmer was installed.

When I turned off the pump last night, after trying to trouble shoot, I noticed the system was burping air from the pump inlet.

Any ideas on what it might be?

I have Ortega 3 port valves in the copper pipe, they are old. Might need new seals, but not sure they would pass enough air? They never show signs of water leaking out at any point.

Will call the pool builder to take a look as well.

I only have a pic of the old equipment setup. A new one is on the camera. Will see what I can do, but currently working long 11 hour days and its always dark when I am home.

Talk to the pool builder, they will most likely come look at it, might put in a new suction line from the skimmer, its a short distance, like 3 to 5 feet away, but is under the concrete deck.

Well, we can narrow it down a little (and you may already know this) but you clearly have a suction side leak if your are collecting air into the system.

So, somewhere between the skimmer and the impeller, air is getting into the system. You can usually be pretty systematic and figure out where it is by process of elimination. The O-ring on the pump strainer basket lid is the most common place for a suction leak to occur.

I did lube the pump strainer lid. Didn't see much change.

I took apart the 3 way valve since its so old and sat dry for who knows how long. I think it might be coming from there, as when I put it back together and started the pump is actually filled more than normal, but didn't fix anything totally. So I will get new o-rings for it and see what that does.

If that's not it, then only other thing would be the suction line.

Sucess!!!
It was the valve, changed the seals and o-rings and its running now, no bubbles out the returns and pump strainer area only has a few bubbles. =)
Just didn't replace the lid o-ring on it since the wife bought lids instead of lid o-rings! haha...will exchange them on Sat.

Feels good to solve a problem!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.