Haven't Been to the Old Pool Store in Over a Month!

Jun 13, 2011
Just wanted to thank everyone at this site for providing an inexpensive and fun way to keep the pool clean. The information here is outstanding and it makes pool chemistry a joy instead of a mystery. I received my own quality test kit just over a month ago, have tested once a week with it and have been doing the daily PH and Clorine test. I've got my daily dose of Chorine figured out and I've only had to adjust my CYA up a little. It's almost too easy. I've found a place to buy Chlorine at 12.5% in the five gallon jug and I bought some stablizer at Walmart... That's it so far!

As a side note, what a fun day I had Saturday testing my pool. It turned into a chemistry lesson for my daughters and several neighborhood kids. They actually thought it was cool! Talked to them about acids, bases and alkalinity and they all watched with great anticipation to see when the colors would change and then they did the math to figure out the results. In a weird way I almost want something to be "off" so I can show them how we can make adjustments with different chemicals to fix it!

Thanks again!

Actually, I had a kid (11 years old) from the neighborhood ask why my pool doesn't smell like Chlorine. He wanted to know how I kept it so clean without it. I had to explain that I do use it, but when the balance is just right and you use the right amount, it doesn't stink like the boys club pool! He said he's going to talk to his dad about how he takes care of the pool, cuz it shouldn't smell. Can't wait to hear from the dad... Perhaps another candidate for BBB.

Welcome to TFP!!

I'm sure the pool store misses you, or at least your money :lol:

Sounds like you're doing great :cheers:

These are the posts I love to read - you actually get it and are willing to properly care for your pool :whoot: :party:

TF Testkits sells them for ~ $30, if memory serves (I've bought 2 from them - 1 for me and 1 for work)

rsfan14 said:
Just wanted to thank everyone at this site for providing an inexpensive and fun way to keep the pool clean. The information here is outstanding and it makes pool chemistry a joy instead of a mystery. I received my own quality test kit just over a month ago, have tested once a week with it and have been doing the daily PH and Clorine test. I've got my daily dose of Chorine figured out and I've only had to adjust my CYA up a little. It's almost too easy. I've found a place to buy Chlorine at 12.5% in the five gallon jug and I bought some stablizer at Walmart... That's it so far!

As a side note, what a fun day I had Saturday testing my pool. It turned into a chemistry lesson for my daughters and several neighborhood kids. They actually thought it was cool! Talked to them about acids, bases and alkalinity and they all watched with great anticipation to see when the colors would change and then they did the math to figure out the results. In a weird way I almost want something to be "off" so I can show them how we can make adjustments with different chemicals to fix it!

Thanks again!

I have used the BBB method for many years. It is a great savings for homeowners as well as pool professionals. if you follow the guidelines on this board, you can't go wrong. I too try to get people, especially kids to understand the chemistry of the pool. I often spend too much time with clients explaining the process. I am glad you have has such success with your " home chemistry set"

If I make it over the next 10 days with what I have in my Liquid Chlorine 10.5% jug, (about 2 gal left/should just make it) I'll be on a record month as the muriatic acid purchase (Home Depot) was from last month. $8.41 with BBB this month! (except for elec to run my 1 hp pump 10-12 hours a day)
And this in in the middle of summer and heavy use.... :whoot:

Chuck

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
rsfan14 said:
Richard, did you get the Speedstir from Taylor? Are there cheaper options?

Thanks
I bought it from http://tftestkits.net when I ordered some more reagents. Then I looked on ebay and found more magnetic stir bars really cheap. So I have enough vials and stirbars to run all my tests before I have to rinse anything.

file.php

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.