Using Trichlor to raise CYA

Yoav

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2010
Pardes Hanna, Israel
Hi Jason, Richard,

I am not sure who the owner of "the pool calculator" is, but I thought that if anyone can help it's probably you.
Since I use Trichlor to reach the stabilization of the pool, I think it would be great if the section on CYA also contained the very useful detail that CYA is 55.5% of Trichlor by weight (got that from one of your posts Richard).

What do you think?

Very good information to know, thanks Yoav. I was wondering this myself, as I too am trying to raise my CYA (currently ~20ppm) using Trichlor, and I'm going through a lot of reagents testing weekly.

There's an easy rule, which I've often seen quoted on this forum:

For every 10ppm of FC added by trichlor, it also raises CYA by 6ppm.

If you know how much trichlor you've used, you can easily work out how much this raises CYA using the "effect of adding chemicals" section on the bottom of the calculator.

Wow! that spreadsheet made my head spin :-D
Can't wait to delve into it when I get back home (though it seems I will be in over my head pretty soon...)

Richard, I hope you don't mind me asking but I'm really curious -
Is your knowledge of chemistry the result of a hobby or of formal/professional training?

Yoav.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.