Intex Pump Question

Jul 5, 2011
Seneca, IL
Hey there guys. I have been reading the forum for a few weeks, and I have some questions about my pump for my Intex Easy Set Pool. I got the pool from Craigslist, as the person who had it took wonderful care of it. It is the regular 18 x 48 Easy Set pool and it came with the standard pump for the set as well as a few other goodies (such as the skimmer basket).

Quite frankly when we got the pool we knew nothing about pool care (which is how I stumbled to this forum). So the pump that we got along with the pool was making strange noises, but it still worked. However when we would hook up the skimmer, it didn't work very well and the output of the water was just about non-existent. So we thought that purchasing a new pump would fix everything.

So we purchased the Intex 2500 gph pump from Amazon. Now this is where my questions / possible issues begin. I figured out how to take the old pump stuff off, but I retained the old plunger valves, hooked the new hoses up that came with the new pump and that was that. I left the old plungers because I had no clue on how to change the plunger without letting all of the water out of the pool, so that is my only reason for doing it like that.

However, I see little difference between how the new pump works as opposed to the old pump in terms of suction power and how it is putting water out. I know to bleed out the air before turning on the pump, but usually it feels like it doesn't do much of anything. I have watched a few You Tube videos on how to install the pump that I purchased and the water that goes to the pool seems to jet out fiercely. However in my pool, it seems to cause a few little ripples in the front of where the water comes out and bubbles as doing so.

My question is this..is that normal? Should the water be shooting out more forcefully? I have read where people with the same size pool as me get this pump and you can see the movement of the water. Secondly, I am not expecting the skimmer to suck my hand off, but how forceful should it be? I have everything aligned properly with that, but it seems like the suction just isn't that impressive.

I have been considering changing out the plunger valves, but how do I go about doing that without letting all of the water out? There are no drain closers / plugs that come with the pool, so I am not sure what I need to buy, and the sooner that I could do it, the better, so if you can recommend something that I can purchase at a hardware store or what not would be super helpful.

Thanks in advance for your help, this pump thing has been stumped. I don't know if my expectations where too high or what, as we have only had the pool for a short period of time. :hammer:

I have read and reread your post trying to figure out what could be wrong. What kind of fitting do you have for the return? Is it the blue screen looking cap or the white one that has an adjustable eye on it? I'm just wondering if you have a faulty pump. Mine works great and has lots of suction and output. Your valves should have nothing to do with the water flow since it works with gravity. They are open all the way?

I am a bit baffled as well. You do have the valves open all the way? I think on mine you turn all the way counterclockwise, pull up on the handle until you see the metal "button" then turn clockwise to lock it in place.

Both must be fully open to run, closed when changing or cleaning the filter.

My skimmer looks different when the pump is on. It sucks the blue top piece down some. If I disconnect the skimmer from the plunger and feel of it, there is a great deal of suction.

Is your filter clean?

Can you measure the size of the hole in the return? Overall however, that should not affect the flow rate. Even if it's much smaller than the return line, it would only make the water feel more forceful (like putting your thumb over the end of a hose).

Since you were able to hook up the lines to the existing valves, it would not seem that there would be a problem as they are apparently the same size.

I second Coastal Carolina's question... are you sure the valves are fully open? I also read your post and felt fairly confused about solutions. I agree... It does not make sense.

If you want to see what the pump itself is producing you can unhook the return from the valve, hold the end of the hose over the pool and turn the pump on. Watch the water pour out, it should shoot out an inch or so in the same size/shape as the line itself before gravity lets it fall into the pool. If it does not come out forcefully like this (if water falls from shape closer to the tube) there's got to be something wrong with the filter, or... the filter needs cleaning. If this sounds confusing, I'm going to go see if I can get a pic of one of our pumps, a 1000gph crummy summer escapes to show you what I mean. I hope it's still working well, I cleaned the filter about 4 days ago.

Thanks for your responses. I am pretty baffled myself as to why it isn't performing correctly.

On the return, I do have the blue screen thing covering it. When I had been messing around with it a few days ago, I took it off to see if it was pushing out water any harder, and it was the same. Tomorrow I am going to try the hose trick as suggested.

As far as the filter goes, it isn't terrible at all. I plan on purchasing a few more to have for the month or so we have left, so I will change it, but even when the pump was new, it still wasn't anything impressive in terms of suction or return, although there was very little improvement. That was with the brand new included filter that came with the pump.

As far as the valves go, I am fairly certain that they are up all of the way. They can be a pita to lift up, but they seem to be up all of the way. I have that little metal button in the locked position. However, I will post a picture of it tomorrow as well.

*edited to add*

I tried the hose trick because we needed to change our a/c filter as mysteriously it stopped blowing and in 90+ weather that doesn't work. When we unhooked the hose, the water shot out strong but it pretty much dropped right at the end of the hose.

Have you checked all the ports? Dig around in them?

Inside the pump, you will see two small holes at the bottom where the filter seats. H is positive these are relief ports. He's represented pumps since 1990, so when it comes to pumps I do not question him. There are screws in these. They get filled up with gunk. We clean them out with a pick.

Do you sense that I am not sure if these little holes matter? But I clean them out regardless.

Try digging around in the pump. See if there's anything in there clogging the impeller or the holes. It can't hurt to look.

I wanted to post back about the blue screen fitting on your return. When I used to use that one, it was called "easy flow return" in my original manual. (My pool is now on it's seventh year). I have since replaced the pump this year with the 2500 gph and my new pump came with this new return fitting that is white and it has a more concentrated nozzle that has an adjustable eye on it. I could tell right away that it forced the water through and made it appear to be stronger. Just like frogabog said with the water hose and putting your finger on the end of it. So.........that is why I was wondering if your return flow didn't appear to be that strong but actually maybe sufficient and you just can't see it. :?:

Alrightly, my pump is now working way better than what it was when I first used it. Basically what I did was clean every little nook & cranny. I changed the filter and then I removed the blue strainer cap on the return and placed the one that came with the new pump on (the one with the adjustable eye) and there is an actual strong stream coming from the return. It has blown my mind.

I didn't think that I would even have to clean out the pump this early (as I have only had it for roughly one month give or take). The return is great, no more bubbling as it was doing before. Woo hoo!

Thanks everyone for you suggestions although my case was a bit baffling!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.