FC 12
CC 13
PH 6.8
TA 50
CYA 60
CH190
Borates 30-50
Temp 82F

Grey Plaster Pool with substantial calcium on surfaces. I've had my PH at +or- 7.0 for about a week now after introducing borates and I can already see an improvement in the surface. Wondering how long I can flirt with 7.0 and whether to introduce a sequestering agent at this insane FC level?

:punkrock:

You don't need a sequestering agent (for calcium, right?).

I think you're being way too hard on your finish. Patience is key for removing scale; keeping CSI at maybe -0.4 or so and brushing regularly will take care of it....eventually.

If you have a heater (heat exchanger), then you should definitely get the pH up to at least 7.2. Even without the heat exchanger, you don't want to be too low. You should be on the pH scale to make sure that the pH is not lower than you think.

How did you get so much scale in the first place?

Well, I will go out on a small limb and say that, as long as it is VERY carefully monitored, a pH of 6.8 is fine because you are trying to get something done...get rid of the scale.

I seem to remember from the old PF about a pH of 6.8 being safe but the problem is it is difficult to tell when you go below that because that's as low as the comparator is marked.

Since you now seem to be pH conscious and willing to monitor it carefully, I would suggest bringing it down to 6.8 by color and then bringing it up just ever so slightly so it is just a little darker than the 7.0 block.

Anything lighter than the 6.8 block would be not good. The end result should be a distinct increase in the speed at which your scale goes back into solution.

I should add that while I would comfortably do that if I was in your situation, others on the forum might not.

Of course, it would be prudent to remove any metal ladders, rails, etc. and bypass the heater if you have one.

As a last thought, I seem to remember one of Taylor's comparator blocks that goes down to 6.6.....anyone else remember seeing that?

EDIT: I found this....I have never seen or heard it mentioned on the forum.....want to be the guinea pig? :-D

K-1285-4 Midget Comparator, pH (bromthymol blue), 6.0-7.4 (It's list price is right @ $60.00!!!)

Re: Re: PH How Low How Long

poolvibe said:
First the numbers

FC 12
CC 13
PH 6.8
TA 50
CYA 60
CH190
Borates 30-50
Temp 82F

Grey Plaster Pool with substantial calcium on surfaces. I've had my PH at +or- 7.0 for about a week now after introducing borates and I can already see an improvement in the surface. Wondering how long I can flirt with 7.0 and whether to introduce a sequestering agent at this insane FC level?

:punkrock:
If that is really your CC, you need to shock. Even if that is your TC and your CC is 1, you might want to consider shocking, retest to see if it is a testing error, or at least be aware it could mean an algae bloom is coming. I am not quite sure why your FC is 12 either unless there is a backstory. That is higher than needed for target FC but not high enough for shock FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.