DPD powder questions

Jun 17, 2011
NW Florida
I have a Taylor K-2006 test kit which uses DPD powder for the free chlorine test. There are 2 options for volume of water sample- 10 ml and 25 ml. Two dippers of powder are specified for the test in both cases. Would 1 dipper be sufficient for the 10 ml samle? Also, sometimes a small amount of the powder will not dissolve, even when shaken vigorously. Will this affect the test results?

The TF-100 assumes you will do a 10ml test and suggests one heaping scoop. The kit does not contain instructions for the 25ml test.

Regardless, the important info to take away from this is it doesn't matter exactly how much powder you use. As long as the solution turns pink and stays pink, the test is valid!

Less than 1 scoop (half even) has always worked for me so far. I'm baffled that it could possibly take more than one level scoop, however I have a theory that it has to do with chlorine levels.

Our water has never been below 3ppm when using it, so I do not know if it might take two whole heaping scoops if one had less chlorine than that. The large chunks do not dissolve for me either, nor do they work to turn the water pink if the scoop only contains large chunks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.