New guy from Mass

Jul 18, 2011
Hey people...new guy here. My name is Ian, I live in Chelmsford, MA just near the NH border.

Just bought a house about a month ago with an inground gunite pool. Pool appears to be from the 80's and in pretty good shape. There is some chipping of the gunite, but I can live with it for a while.

I am a first time pool owner.....so i am learning as I go. Haven't run into many major issues, just trying to figure out how many lb's of DE I need to put into the filter when i backwash.

Anyways, below is a pic of the set up
ZF03ZGN2ZwZkAF0kZl0kZl0g.jpg

I am unsure on how many gallons the pool is. I think its somewhere around 15k gallons, but others are telling me its more like 10.
roughly 10 ft wide by 24ish feet.....9 ft in the deep end. So any help would be appreciated

Ok, well enough babble........look forward to becoming part of the community here. :cheers:

Welcome to TFP!!

Judging from the pictures, your pool is wider than 10'. I'd use 14,000 gal as a starting point and see if you are consistently overdosing or under dosing the pool :cool: (actually, my best guess would be 16,500)

For the DE question see if this helps - if you have any questions, simply ask :-D