Regular doses of preventative algacide?

wkussmaul

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 29, 2010
Thanks to this forum, I have had no algae this year using the BBB system. :whoot:

However: I have a couple of bottles of polyquat left from last year when the pool store was telling me to put in 8 oz every week as prevention. Does this make sense? Or should I expect never to need it as long as FC levels are adequate (adjusted for CYA)?

Pool store also wanted me to add 8 oz of Jack's Blue every week to prevent stains.

We switched last July to BBB two weeks after filling a new pool and packing it w/chems and algaecide. Our previous pools had "needed" algaecide regularly and were fairly troublesome with the pool store method.

Since then no algaecide has gone into the pool, even for prevention. Pool turned a little green early this spring due to a week of sun and the cover fallen in. That is the only time I've had to shock this pool's water, and I never even considered algaecide. Shocking worked great to get the algae off the cover itself as well.

I know there is a (loose) recommendation in pool school for small pool owners to use the polyquat as a preventative measure but I don't see the necessity as long as you maintain it w/chlorine as directed (min/target) daily.

Personally I'd sell whole leftover bottles to some poor sap and bite my tongue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.