Add CH or just keep PH higher?

Jun 13, 2007
Palm Bay,Florida
Hi this is my first winter with the pool and now that the water is 65. my Calcite Saturation Index is going neg 3.1 now.
here are My numbers
FC 5.0
CYA 50
PH 7.6
Salt 3200
CH 240
TA 80

Pool is plaster just a year old now. just do not want Plaster to get messed up.
so would letting PH go up to 7.8 be ok. or should I just add some calcium chloride to get CH to 350 to 400 range for the winter Thanks for any help have kept pool water bal all summer just now with cool water is messing me up some.

Speed,

I do not use the CSI so I'm not sure I understand your question.

IMHO, Your test result numbers are close to perfect. I see no reason whatsoever to move your pH from 7.6.

Especially, I see no reason to add calcium to your pool. You are currently near perfect in the 200 range and moving it to 400ppm will provide no benefit and potentially move you closer to a scaling condition.

For your numbers I get a CSI of -0.44, which is fine. It wouldn't hurt to let the PH go up just a little but it isn't significant. Long term I would probably bump the CH up to between 300 and 400, but others disagree and I wouldn't expect it to make a significant difference.

Thanks JasonLion, will get some calcium chloride and get it up to the 300 to 400 range but do not want scale to form so will shot for 320 CH thats were it was all summer. have well water and its soft from water softerner. but cant use water without it going through softener as its got tannin in the water which makes water yellow and do not want that in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.