Frequency of backwashing DE filter

jccams

May 22, 2010
Dexter, MI
Since I have been using the BBB method I have noticed my pressure really doesn't move. I know you are supposed to backwash when the pressure rises about 6psi above starting pressure. The question is should you backwash on any frequency if the pressure isn't going up?

My pressure starts at about 12psi after a backwash, it has been about 6 weeks since the last backwash and it is still at 12 or 13. What do all the experts think?

I have sand, just did my first DE filter yesterday, but the principles are the same. In the spring and fall, I have to backwash fairly frequently. In the summer, when there's no pollen or falling leaves, I can go a very long time without backwashing. Without looking at a calendar, it's been around two months since I've backwashed my filter, and I still have a few psi to go before I need to.

Edit: you added DE back to the filter after the last backwash, right? I know it's obvious, but had to make sure.

I am not an expert, but I'll share my experience anyway.

Prior to BBB (several years ago), I had to backwash every 2 - 3 weeks because the pressure on my DE filter had gone from 20 PSI (clean) to 30 PSI (dirty).

With BBB, I backwash after a 5 PSI increase, which occurs maybe every 2 - 3 months. At 3 months I backwash just because, even if the pressure has only gone up 3 PSI.

The main cause of PSI increase for me seems to be pollen, when the oak and pecan trees that overhang my pool are in full pollen mode. Otherwise, everything just stays crystal clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.