Changing 1 speed pump to 2 speed????

May 8, 2007
El Paso, Texas
:?: I have a Pentair Wisperflo 2.0hp pump, I believe it is running 220v right now, I was wondering if there was any way to convert it to a two speed pump, I know I don't need a full 2hp. but the pump is only 2 yrs old and feel that replacing it with a lower hp will not be worth the savings in electricity, can I covert it to run at a slower speed?

Thanks

One way is to change out the electric motor. You need to find out the make and model of the existing motor, and then search the mfgr's catalog for a cooresponding two speed model. One important piece of information is the frame size. The replacement must have the same frame size.

Rockcrawler,

Do you have any items such as an attached spa, a pressure cleaner, or a solar system which requires the flow of "high speed"? If not, one other option might be to remove the existing pump impellor and replace with an impellor which draws less horsepower. This option, assuming that you will never need the higher flows of "high speed", will cost much less than a replacement two-speed motor in material costs. I'm not sure about the relative labor hours of the two options.

Also, I do not know what your existing filter pump control system looks like. If you have a "normal" mechanical timer - or no timer at all :shock: - you are going to need something like the Intermatic T10604R, which can be found on the Internet for betweenn $150 and $200. This cost would be for just the timers and enclosure and doesn't include installation labor. http://www.intermatic.com/Default.asp?a ... 59&sid=336

Titanium

Thanks for the replies,

Titanium, I have a solar heater that will require the "higher" speed, but I don't run the solar heater in the winter, about 5 months out of the year, I wanted the lower speed for the winter time, I guess I will "really" have to do some research to see if it is cost effective to buy a 2 speed motor, I wouldn't think I would need the dual timer because I would just switch the motor to the higher speed in summer, I have a mechanical timer

Rob

dschlic1

thats probaly what I will do is buy one, I was hoping because I am cheap, that there was a way to make a one speed into a two speed but apparently not

thanks

On the contrary, you do not need to verify frame size. An AO Smith motor will be in a 48 frame and a Century will be in a 56 frame. both square flange motors fit the seal plate on that pump. If you're in California, the law now requires you to add that two speed clock. You have no option by law to install the 2 speed motor without it. You can, but good luck. The AO Smith motor you want in a 2HP is the SQS1202R. That is a 48 frame motor and adapts to your Whisperflo.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.