Always fighting algae

Aug 1, 2010
I have noticed over the past two years that algae is a consistent issue. I have to brush a minimum of every three days and shock weekly to keep things in check. If I do this my water stays clear and I have minimal algae growth...can barely see it when brushing. Is this normal?? I do have a decorative 400 gallon pond right next to my pool...literally two feet away from my pool with a small stream and waterfall acting as my pond filter. Could this be a constant source of algae spores to the pool?? I'm thinking this is the case and I will just have to deal with this issue or get rid of the pond...

As long as your pool is in balance, what's around it won't really matter. In regards to shocking, you should rarely, if ever, have to shock your pool.

Can you post a full set of pool chemistry numbers?

FC - Free Chlorine
CC or TC - Combined Chlorine or Total Chlorine
pH -
TA - Total Alkalinity
CH - Calcium Hardness
CYA - Cyanuric Acid (stabilizer/conditioner)

Could this be a constant source of algae spores to the pool?? I'm thinking this is the case and I will just have to deal with this issue or get rid of the pond...
Once you get (and keep) adequate chlorine levels in your pool, algae will be a thing of the past. It is unrelated to your pond.

It would be more accurate to say that if you follow the described approach, you don't see the algae growing. It's there, it's growing, you're just managing to keep it at a low enough level to not be obvious to the naked eye. It's still a problem. A single proper shock process should deal with it.

If you're cya is 60, then your chlorine is to low, that's why you are always fighting algae. Your chlorine needs to be at a minimum of about 5 and NEVER drop below that. Every time it drops below the minimum, algae starts to grow. You need to raise your chlorine level to 24 to shock it, and keep adding liquid chlorine to maintain the shock level of 24 until you pass the overnight test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.