using coffee filters as skimmer socks?

Jun 21, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I have been using knee highs as skimmer socks for two weeks now but I am wondering if anyone has used a finer mesh with any success. I immediately thought of the large coffee filters used in commercial coffee makers. Are the skimmer socks available at the pool store finer than knee highs? Just wondering if anyone has any experience using anything else.

Sharon

I used to use the cheap knee highs from Wal Mart that come in the little plastic containers like used in childrens "quarter" machines. I ran out of them, but found a pair of more expensive panty hose with a run in them. I decided to cut them up and use them before making a trip to Wally World. I realized that the mesh was several times finer and they worked alot better than the cheap knee highs. They do cost more, but I guess it's true that you get what you pay for. This method is still cheaper than buying pool store skimmer socks. I can get at least 6 skimmer socks from each pair of hose.

I like the idea of using a coffee filter, I guess it would just depend on how well the water flows through it and will the chlorine eat it up? Please post your results if you try it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.