Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do I drain some water out?

1. Back To Top    #1

How do I drain some water out?

We have had a lot of rain lately and my water level is almost to the top of the coping. The deck has not been poured yet so the overflow has not been installed. I have a cartridge filter setup, hence no backwash plumbing. How do I use the pump to lower the water level?
    Lee
    10200 gal 12x24 IG vinyl, Dual Main Drains, Sta Rite System 3 cartridge filter, 1.5 HP pump, Zodiac LM3 SWCG, Letro Platinum w/booster, Colorlogic, Spraydeck, Deck jets, Oasis 36" Arch Waterfall, custom built BBQ island

2. Back To Top    #2
    Do you have an outdoor type faucet installed in your pool plumbing? If so you just need to hook a garden hose to it and open it up. It will only work when the pump is running.
    8500 Gallon Fiberglass IG / Sta-Rite pump,cartridge filter & heater / PoolPilot Dig 220-36 SWG / Testing w/K2006

3. Back To Top    #3
    You could also setup a siphon to lower the water level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    If you want to use your pump you'll have to rig up an attachment to connect to one of your pool returns and run that out of the pool
    21,000 gal Fiberglass (Indoor)

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

You should have a hose bibb (faucet) attached somewhere between your pump and filter (at least that is how I've always seen it done) just attach a garden hose to that, open it up and kick on the pump. This will allow you to drain a few inches off the pool. It's not terribly fast, and it will usually only drain till the water is at the bottom of the skimmer. (where the pump will start to catch air) If you're in a hurry, get a submergable pump, they're much faster and can come in handy in the future.

6. Back To Top    #6

Overflow pipe is now installed off of skimmer. Water level remains constant after rains.
    Lee
    10200 gal 12x24 IG vinyl, Dual Main Drains, Sta Rite System 3 cartridge filter, 1.5 HP pump, Zodiac LM3 SWCG, Letro Platinum w/booster, Colorlogic, Spraydeck, Deck jets, Oasis 36" Arch Waterfall, custom built BBQ island