Well Water Pool AG 24x53.. Help

Jun 2, 2011
I am posting for a friend who had a new AG installed about one month ago. When installed they had pool water delivered since they are on well water. Their water level is very low and cannot run the pump. Their first thought was to have pool water delivered again which is costly. They are hesitent on using well water. If well water is used, is anything different in treating your pool? Any other chemicals besides chlorine and ph? Also, they have never run their well dry but if they get brown water what does that mean? does it mean just old water or does it mean they are about to run dry? Please help. and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Do they have any idea if the well has metals? Iron from a well is common. That's probably what the brown is.

Depending on how much iron is in the water and how much water they need to add to the pool, they may have to use sequestrant in the water. Sequestrant is not a one time thing either. It has to be continually added to keep the metals in suspension.

P.S. Do they have a softener for the house?

yes, she has a water softner? what would you advice her to do?buy pool water everytime or use her well water? how can she test for metals in her water? and what is this sequesterant? would apprecaite step by step instructions.

How much water needs to be added?
If it's a good bit I'd recommend having it trucked in this time. If it's not a lot I'd recommend using the softened water to top it off.

In cases where the well has metals and the house has a softener, you would usually use the softened water to top off the pool as needed.

Your friend really needs to join the forum! It's much easier to speak directly to the person with the problem. We've lived on a shallow well for fifteen years now, had a whole-house system installed about four years after we moved in. We had a soft water issue with our spa and had to add calcium on every fill to offset it. (Or did we? Maybe we were being pool-stored) ;-) They need to find out what's in their water! Brown water usually means low water level in the well and can be either dirt or metals, clear water can easily still have dissolved metals. If the local county extension agency doesn't do water testing, then call the local pediatrician's office and find out who tests in the area. (People don't like to mix formula with well water if they don't know what's in it, the pediatric groups always know where to get it tested in areas where there's well water dependency.)

Now to the low water level issue: Has it been low from the original fill or is the water level dropping over time? If it's been low since the first fill I'm really surprised the water truck driver didn't ask how many gallons the pool held before the first delivery. If it's gone down over time, they need to be searching for leaks, as adding water is only a temporary fix in that case anyway!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I doubt there is a leak, although it wouldn't hurt to check... this time of year and depending where you are you can loose a 1/4" of water a day to evaporation. We have a well and I top off all the time from the well.

What I do is take an old tube sock, stuff it with aquarium filter floss, put the hose in the middle of the floss and add more floss around the rest of the hose inside the sock.

I then take some old dish towels and wrap around the sock. I use some heavy duty rubber bands to keep it all on the hose. Turn hose on and fill to desired level. Once done filling take hose out and look at whats in the floss, you'll be surprised.

I filled our pool this way and had very little metals in the water, so little in fact the cheapo Intex filter that came with the pool was able to collect it all in the filter in a couple of days.

I have filled my pool 3 times with my well water. The first time i did not run it thru my softner and it was a big pain getting the hard water under control. The next 2 times i filled it i just let in go thru the softner system and everything was good. I would run it for about 8-10 hours and then backwash my softner and continue until it was full.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.