First time user of TF-100, please help

Jul 5, 2011
Hi, Dear All

I am new pool owner. Just received my TF-100 and learn to do the drop test and CYA test.

I have 2 questions.
1) how many R-870 shall I add? If I add one flat scoop, the water became pink but turned clear immediately after I shake the bottle. But I add one full scoop (or two scoop), the water turned deep pink (almost red), the FC ends >35. So I am confused
2) CYA test, the water is so clear and I add the full tube of water and I can still see the black dot. Does it mean CYA=0? or I messed up with the testing. And if CYA=0, shall I consider adding some stabilizer?

Thanks a lot

ppzzalex,

Usually, one scoop from the dished-out round part of the scooper is adequate. However, if you put in one and it "flashes" pink and then turns back clear, you need one more.....just as you have done.

Yes, if you still see the dot, you have 0 CYA.

Thanks a lot.

I added 5 lb dichlor a couple days ago and I always add liquid bleach. But while I opened the pool, the service guy told me CYA=40. now CYA=0, shall I consider adding some stabilizer?

Also, I have been shocking the pool for 2 days now. The reason is: the water looks green at the deep zone of the pool (8-9 feet), but the shallow zone (4 feet) looks ok. If CYA=0, the FA level seems enough. However, the water still looks green and cloudy at the deep zone. I don`t know why. Could you give me some suggestion?

Thanks again.

ppzzalex said:
Thanks a lot.

I added 5 lb dichlor a couple days ago and I always add liquid bleach. But while I opened the pool, the service guy told me CYA=40. now CYA=0, shall I consider adding some stabilizer?

Also, I have been shocking the pool for 2 days now. The reason is: the water looks green at the deep zone of the pool (8-9 feet), but the shallow zone (4 feet) looks ok. If CYA=0, the FA level seems enough. However, the water still looks green and cloudy at the deep zone. I don`t know why. Could you give me some suggestion?

Thanks again.
My guess is poor circulation.

And if CYA is really, truly, you-tested-it-yourself zero, then you need to add some.

Run a full set of tests, then post the results here and get advice, or plug them into Pool Calculator if you feel up to it.

Then while you await advice, study your plumbing. See if there's a valve for the main drain, or perhaps a diverter in the skimmer, or if you need to re-aim your returns to stir things up in the deep end.

When in doubt, brushing is always a good thing to do also.

Go to the Pool Calculator, enter your pool size, then go to the bottom to see what 5lb dichlor adds to the pool CYA. If you did the test correctly and measured 0 CYA, use this calculated CYA value, assuming that the dichlor CYA is there but not testing as there yet.

Thanks a lot,dear all

Here is the test result

yesterday night

FC=35-40 (>70 drops, I dropped the last 10 too fast, so I am not quite sure about FC)
CC=<0.5 (barely pink)
Ph=7.2
T/A=90
Calcium=200
CYA=0

This morning
FC=36
CC=0

My pool size is 40x20x6, square, so about 35700 galon. CYA=0, then I already put too much Ch into the pool (18 jugs of 182oz 6% bleach and 16 lb 49% cal-ch in the previous 3 days). I decide to stop feed ch now, please let me know your advice.

However, the pool still looks green. Please see the photos.

Attachments

• IMG_1035.JPG
    IMG_1035.JPG
    452.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1034.jpg
    IMG_1034.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 79
Using the Pool Calculator, which I hope you did for yourself, I got the dichlor raised your CYA by 8.5 ppm, so your calculated CYA is 8.5 ppm for now.

With CYA this low, even that excessive FC level will fall very rapidly. In a matter of hours or a day or so it will be gone. Lost to the sun.

If CYA test had very clear water, then it was 0 and is now a calculated 8.5 and you need to add CYA to get to 30 ppm. Do be certain that you did that test correctly, shaking the mixture as required.

Do not dump chlorine into the pool without checking the Pool Calculator to see what effect that will have. You will want to add enough chlorine to get the pool to shock level for CYA 30, after you add the stabilizer to get to that level. The correct shock level will be on the Pool Calculator, after you enter your data.

Meanwhile, have you brushed the pool, including light fixtures and around the ladder? Is all debris out of the pool? Are you runnng the filter 24/7 and keeping it cleaned as needed?

Thanks, I guess I ran the pumper not enough long. Today is much better. However, I feel the circulation in the pool is really slow. Don`t know why

Thanks for the advice. I will get some stabilizer into it immediately.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.