Changing chlorine and pH levels

You need chlorine. Right away. First order of business, prevent an algae bloom.

For CYA at 110ppm, you need 15ppm chlorine in there right now. Check it tonight again and then add enough bleach to get back to 15ppm, do this every day (evening). Tomorrow night you shouldn't need as much bleach as you do right now because it shouldn't be much lower than 9ppm after your day of swimming/sun.

Consider draining about 60% and refilling.

PH also needs to be addressed. Use the pool calculator and add acid to reduce ph to ~7.4. Maybe do ph first, because once you get the chlorine above 10ppm your test won't be accurate. But do ph w/acid and then immediately add bleach.

First off, I would replace some water in order to get the CYA down. Unless you are running a SWCG, your CYA should be between 30 and 50 ppm.

After replacing water to control CYA, check your pH. It should be between 7.2 and 7.8.

Add chlorine based on your level of CYA as indicated in Pool School on the chlorine/CYA chart.

Thanks, I ran to the store and added the bleach and muriatic acid. I'll continue to monitor it and treat it this week. I live in Galveston and we are on level 2 water restriction, so I'll wait until thurs to drain/fill the pool.

I usually keep better track of the pool, but I left town in a hurry about 10 days ago and the chlorine wasn't re-supplied.

I used to get really worried when I had a problem with the pool, but now I know I can get reliable answers quickly and that make life easier. Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.