New pool owner, old pool, equipment issues

Jul 18, 2011
El Dorado Hills, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
First post here, so glad I found this site. We moved into our new home in March and I've been doing the pool maintenance myself, and after reading up on pool chem and asking the pool store folks some questions, I've come to the conclusion that they haven't the slightest idea what they are talking about. So my test kit is on order and I'm going the BBB route....but I also have some issues/questions with my setup so I'm starting here.

First, I'm getting some leakage from my pump-side filter basket when I turn it off. I have lubricated the o-ring but still getting leakage. Is this a problem if it's not leaking when the pump is running?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Second, it looks like I have a weird return setup. As you can see from the pic, there are three return lines. Well, there are four return jets in my pool, so that already tells me one of these is split and I have no idea which it is. But also, as you can see from this picture one of the lines has been pushed up above ground, likely by tree roots. I REALLY want to fix this, but I don't know if I'm just getting into something that's going to spiral into other hidden problems. Should I leave this until I see a problem or should I dig these up and figure it out? And should I be concerned that one of the return lines is split to two jets?

Also, you can't barely see in the picture but there is a shutoff valve on only ONE of the return lines, and the other two return lines are split off eachother too so I'm sure the pressure is lower on those.

Third, this equipment is located right next to our porch and is pretty loud when it's running (not to mention ugly). I just ripped out a row of dead bushes in a planter box along the house, so I was wondering if I could re-locate my pool equipment down in the corner. Is it as easy as simply extending the pipes to the new spot or do I have to worry about how far away I will be from the pool? I know I'll have to re-route electrical also but I'm not as worried about that as just the feasibility in having the pool equipment/plumbing relocated.

My pump basket lid will leak occasionally when the pump turns off. I wouldn't consider it an issue as long as you are getting good prime and not sucking air into the system. You can get new o-rings for the lids, and like you said you have to keep it lubricated.

Thanks Robbie...what exactly do you mean by getting a good prime? I think I know but could you explain it as if I'm an idiot (which is what my wife often calls me)? I do sometimes get air in my system (only know this due to air bubbles from my jets) but that is always caused by my skimmer basket getting stuck "up" and thus sucking in air at the skimmer. How can I tell if I'm getting a good prime other than just watching for air bubbles from teh jets?

As long as the pump starts up and runs correctly on its own, you are getting a good prime. When the basket lids leak badly, they can cause the basket to empty and/or not let enough pressure build to restart the pump correctly.

I had a skimmer basket that did that for a while. I put a river rock in it, problem solved. Does your skimmer have a weir (the flapper door)?

No, my skimmer doesn't have a weir and I actually want to put one in. That is a good idea with the river rock. A pool guy also advised me that I could shave off the plastic flanges on the skimmer basket to allow it a little more up/down freedom.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.