Attatching Goldline Chlorinator to Pentair Easy Touch

Jul 9, 2011
Just installed the Pentair EasyTouch conversion from the Compool. The pool builder had my Goldline chlorinator attached together with the pool pump so they always came on together. But now it appears that the EasyTouch reduces the power output for the pump, so if the chlorinator is hooked up with it, it stops working.

Does it need a relay of it's own, and if so, is there a way to make it come on anytime the pool is on or does it always have to be programmed on a separate circuit to run at the same time as the pool?

The SWG should be wired to the same terminals as the pump. The EasyTouch does not "reduce power output", power is either on or off. It is possible for the breaker to be too small to support both the pump and SWG, if so it will trip. Other than that, they way it is setup should work.

What is the exact symptom you are seeing?

I'm not sure I understand your issue completely, but my Hayward Goldline AquaRite is connected to the same power relay as my pool pump. The SWG only generates chlorine when my pool pump is on. My pump does not lose power with this set up.

I can't tell if you are asking about the interface between the AquaRite and the EasyTouch, but I understand that the AquaRite will not communicate with the EasyTouch. I regulate chlorine generation by pump run time and by adjusting the percentage output on the AquaRite.

Well, here's what I noticed. When the pump is on at full speed, the chlorinator works. However, when it switches to lower speeds, the lights dim on the chlorinator and the LED screen goes off, and at the lowest speed of the pump, there are no lights at all on the chlorinator.

So, it would appear that the chlorinator is getting less power when the pump switches to lower speeds, no?

It sounds like it is wired wrong. Could someone have connected it in series with the load from the pump?

I don't know what that means, "in series..."

I did the conversion from the Compool 3800 to the EasyTouch and installed the Intelliflo. None of the pump or chlorinator wires were touched in that conversion. I used the wiring from my previous pump to set up the new Intelliflo.

However, if it was wrong before, it could be wrong now, since the previous pump was a single speed. What would I change in that case?

Here's the wiring setup, I hope this makes sense:

Relay (from top to bottom)
1 Red to wire nut 1
2 Brown to wire nut 2
3 Red to chlorinator red
4 Brown to chlorinator brown

Wire nut 1 (red)
1 in from relay
2 out to pump
3 out to circuit breaker (15)
4 out to heater

Wire nut 2 (brown)
1 in from relay
2 out to pump
3 out to circuit breaker (15)
4 out to heater

That is a plausible way to have things wired, and does not explain what is going on at all. I wonder if your lights just glow for a little while after it turns off as they use up the last of the power in the capacitors.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It didn't do that before I made the switch. When the filter was running, the lights remained on. I'm not sure what you mean by them glowing after it turns off....I'm talking about the lights being off while it should be running. When the pump switches to lower power, the lights dim or go out depending on the pump speed. Medium speed, medium flickering lights. Lowest speed, no lights.

I'm getting nowhere with any help. I wrote to Compool weeks ago, no reply. I sat on the phone on hold for 40 minutes and had to hang up. I wrote to Hayward and they first told me to call a technician to come out. When I told them I wanted to do it myself and just wanted to know if it was wired wrong, they told me they wouldn't answer for liability reasons.

So I asked them if they wouldn't be liable if it catches on fire due to being wired wrong and wouldn't help me.. Let's see what they say next.

So I don't know what to do to fix this problem. Anyone?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.