Need fence advice for keeping trespassers out

sburer

Jul 18, 2011
Neighborhood kids have been climbing our fence at night to swim. We will be replacing current fence (5 feet tall) with a new one, which is at least 6 feet tall (maybe as tall as 8 ft).

Besides a taller fence, what type / style of fence is the most difficult to climb? Privacy and cost are less of a priority than keeping the trespassers out.

Thanks for your help. --Sam

I did an 8' at my last house, tried to find a picture but could not. It was boards laid side-by-side, with a cap at the top. Looked really good, especially after we stained it. If you do the boards on the outside, there'd be nothing to climb on to get to the top. I want to warn you though, unless your yard is very large, an 8' fence can make your yard feel a little clausterphobic. We had a 1/4 acre lot, and the fence made the back yard feel like a room instead of a yard.

If I find those pictures, I'll post one.

RobbieH, thanks for the ideas. Our yard is fairly big, and the pool is just one section. So an 8 ft fence should be OK.

Bama Rambler, I will probably do motion lights and a professional surveillance system too, but I figured I should improve the fence first to help limit my liability.

Nightmare, I already thought of this. Unfortunately, my city doesn't allow this. :(

This type of fence is more difficult to climb. There are no footholds and you can't jump on top of it. I would think twice before I tried this fence with the spikes on top.

I had an AmeriStar Aluminum fence until we installed the pool, then I switched to a similar type of galvanized iron fence (cheaper). My fence was one of the desgins with a top rail instead of spikes (ECHELON PLUS 3-Rail).

http://www.ameristarfence.com/backyards

Attachments

• Fence.jpg
    Fence.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 326
Motion lights and a 12 guage will cost alot less then a new fence.

Any fence can be climed, burrowed under, or cut: Buy a fence that you think looks good, because most of them will do very little to keep determined people out.

Nightmare, thanks for the links. That definitely gives me some good ideas.

Texasdad, one of our challenges is that the pool is set back about 50 ft from the house, and I'm not positive I would always see the lights. I also wonder if they might just knock them out with rocks or whatever. But maybe I should give lights a try first since they're less expensive like you say.

You might want to double check the Pool Barrier (fence) code in your area. You don't want to spend a bunch of money on a new fence and have any code problems after it's installed. My first AmeriStar fence was technically 2" too short to qualify for my code, but the inspector let it pass.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Warning: Property Protected By Smith & Wesson 3 Nights A Week. You Guess Which Nights.

Warning: Guard Dogs

Motion lights with grates to protect the bulbs.

Best Solution:
Get to know the kids. Invite them to swim. Take the "thrill" of getting away with it away.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.